Default Thanks to all... starter problem solved

On 7/8/10 10:14 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:29:54 -0300, "YukonBound"
wrote:

Maybe... but in here every bit of information is used as a weapon.

You can thank your pal in MD for that state of affairs. I think a lot
of us would appreciate knowing which component or connection was
failing.

You're ever the asshole, eh, w'hine?

In article ,
says...

"W1TEF" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:59:27 -0300, "YukonBound"
wrote:

Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter problem and
all
works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was made,
the
starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

So what was it?

Ok.. since you asked...
This solution was in the back of my mind from the start, but I didn't want
to try anything for fear of causing problems.
I was able to turn the bendix toothed gear by hand and one way it would
raise up on a helix to the flywheel so I felt nothing was seized there.
When I pressed the starter I noticed that the bexdix was spinning
clockwise... same way as the flywheel did when I pulled on the cord.
This didn't seem right so I took a closer look at how the Minn Kota prop
spun when I put in in forward & reverse.
You guessed it...the opposite way from what you would expect.
I had assumed that the cables leading to the battery posts were like your
normal 14-2 household wiring.
That is..... black hot & white neutral. It was the opposite.... the white
wire belonged on the + post and black on the - post.
I couldn't remember how it was connected when I re-installed the battery
...and with a 50% chance of getting it right...i didn't.
I'll mark or apply red tape to that white wire so I don't make that mistake
again.

Sorry little buddy. Just like me, you shouldn't be working on your own
things. You haven't a clue.

In article , says...

YukonBound wrote:
Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter problem and
all works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was made,
the starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

Very rude to ask for help, then not give the solution.
Others who encounter the same problem are denied the answer.
Even if the answer is something really, really stupid.
We all make mistakes.

Jim - Sermon for Thursday.

Probably found a wire unhooked... Dumb ****.

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!

wrote:

[...]

See. That wasn't so bad. It wasn't really your fault. A valuable lesson was
learned. Be very suspicious when AC wiring is used on a DC circuit.
Hopefully the wiring is the soft stranded type, not solid, and at least
8ga. with UV shielding.

In article ,
says...

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

wrote:

Maybe... but in here every bit of information is used as a weapon.

You can thank your pal in MD for that state of affairs. I think a lot
of us would appreciate knowing which component or connection was
failing.

Some folks can't admit they made a mistake. ****, I left the choke on at
the starting line for The Mouse in the 125 class this weekend. She was
obviously having some kind of trouble and was at the back of the field
frantically reaching under the seat.. As she sputtered by I could have
sworn she said "clutch" and I was ****ting bricks waiting for that big
four stroke to blow up, but turned out she had said "choke" and finally
got her finger in the right spot to get it pushed in but by then she was
already a lap down...

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!

Pretty good find for her. She must know something about the mechanics of the
bike.

Thanks, yeah she is pretty good. She knows I may not always be there...
She can set up the suspension, and after the bike is warmed up she
brapps it a few times and reaches down and adjusts the mixture based on
temp, baro, and humidity to a baseline and works from there. Knows how
to use a torque wrench and service manual, etc... Yep, I am pretty proud
of her But then again maybe I should keep her home to do "practice
tests".

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - The big Bettencourts Suzuki won the drags this
weekend, hands down, go Mouse!

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 10:15:05 -0400, W1TEF
wrote:

I will take the blame for that - I should have used red/black shrink
wrap to designate hot and ground. I just assumed that black is ground
in most wiring schemes meaning that white would be hot - 12 Vdc what
else could it be? :)

The color codes are different for AC and DC wiring. To make matters
worse, Europeans seem to be using Red for (+) and Yellow for (-).