Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Prep for the Bahamas

I am s'posed to leave Stuart on Saturday to sail south to Lake Worth
inlet from where my daughter and her bf will sail with me over to West
End. So:

Today, I bought an electric diesel fuel pump in case the one I have
now goes bad. This does happen and once happed right when I really
wanted the diesel so at least I will have a spare.
May buy a new battery to keep charged in reserve.

So, the decision is whether to sail from Lake Worth inlet or from Port
Everglades (Fort Lauderdale). Lake Worth inlet is closer but with the
gulf stream I calculate a transit time of 13.5 hrs WITHOUT the due
easterly wind whereas from the more southerly Port Everglades with the
Gulf Stream helping me it should take only 11.5 hours. However, Port
Everglades is another 3/4 day south of Stuart (I can make 6 kts in
calm water and 5.25 in chop). I will make my decision when I get
there and see what th eweather will do. Right now it seems to be pure
east wind meaning even more than the 13.5 hrs so I would opt for Port
Evrglades if nothing changes.

Cruising plans are for a short cruise of only two weeks before getting
Ragtime to Marsh Harbor to have her hauled out for hurricane season
and we will all fly back.

My order for the SOLAS grade flares never arrived so I will sail with
my 15 12 gage flares and a bunch of hand helds. If I can find some of
the Pains Wessex flares I'll buy em.
3 hand compasses, 2 VHF, 2 GPS, new personal EPIRB, 3 inflatable life
jackets each with strobes, 3 more regular life jackets, etc, etc.

Hurricane Prep press release Chuck Gould General 1 May 1st 07 06:52 PM
Alberto prep [email protected] General 2 June 13th 06 03:42 PM
Bait prep sprayer Gary General 6 March 21st 05 08:12 PM
deck paint prep John Knox Boat Building 0 May 24th 04 08:46 PM
bahamas hotel atlantis hotel bahamas grand bahamas island hotel atlantis hotel in the bahamas hotel in the bahamas adfunk Jehad Internet Cruising 0 February 4th 04 11:42 PM