Default Bow mount troll motor question

I bought a MotorGuide Brute. I want to mount it on my Lund aluminum boat,
so have to make a mounting plate. I want to mount it exactly at the point
of the bow. Should I have the base down the centerline or follow the
gunnel? I had another boat with a similar mount, but just a little off
center to the right, parallel with the center line. It pulled pretty
straight, I just had to turn the motor a tiny bit to compensate. The
current one is mounted on the gunnel about three feet back from the prow, so
it pulls a lot to one side, and it is difficult to get the engine just right
so it tracks good. It is also too short, therefore the new one. How would
you do it?

Steve

visit my site http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book

Steve B wrote:
I bought a MotorGuide Brute. I want to mount it on my Lund aluminum boat,
so have to make a mounting plate. I want to mount it exactly at the point
of the bow. Should I have the base down the centerline or follow the
gunnel? I had another boat with a similar mount, but just a little off
center to the right, parallel with the center line. It pulled pretty
straight, I just had to turn the motor a tiny bit to compensate. The
current one is mounted on the gunnel about three feet back from the prow, so
it pulls a lot to one side, and it is difficult to get the engine just right
so it tracks good. It is also too short, therefore the new one. How would
you do it?

Steve

visit my site http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book

Mine is a good 12" off center and it pulls the boat just fine. Mounting
down the center line would take up too much room.

You always have to compensate for the wind and current so the difference
would be negligible.

"Larry" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an
insult.

Mine is a good 12" off center and it pulls the boat just fine. Mounting
down the center line would take up too much room.

You always have to compensate for the wind and current so the difference
would be negligible.

What I did notice on the one I had that was off center was that it did not
end up in my crotch, but to the right, which allowed me to sit in the front
of a stick steer boat very comfortably. I really do think I will mount it
slightly diagonally, using the strongest attachment points along the gunnel,
and living with the fact that to trigger the hold down, I may have to get up
and pull the cord from that side. That way, the whole thing will be out of
my lap, and not on my knees.

I no longer have the MillerMatic and SpoolGun that would allow me to do this
all in aluminum. So, I guess I'll make something nice, grind it shiny, and
take it and have it powder coated.

Steve

On 4/29/2010 6:54 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

do not really need the spool gun. My boat, I cut a platform out of 1/2"
aluminum and bolted it to the gunnel at the bow area. Motor sits off
center a little and is at and angle to the boat, so lays along the
gunnel when retracted. Is a MK 65 Autopilot. I bolted a regular quick
release plate to the 1/2" plate so I can remove the motor easily.

On Apr 29, 1:15*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I bought a MotorGuide Brute. *I want to mount it on my Lund aluminum boat,
so have to make a mounting plate. *I want to mount it exactly at the point
of the bow. *Should I have the base down the centerline or follow the
gunnel? *I had another boat with a similar mount, but just a little off
center to the right, parallel with the center line. *It pulled pretty
straight, I just had to turn the motor a tiny bit to compensate. *The
current one is mounted on the gunnel about three feet back from the prow, so
it pulls a lot to one side, and it is difficult to get the engine just right
so it tracks good. *It is also too short, therefore the new one. *How would
you do it?

Steve

visit my sitehttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult..

My boat crabs a little because the trolling motor is offset from the
centerline, but I don't find it the least bit annoying, because you're
always compensating for something, wind, current, etc.

Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 29, 12:15*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I bought a MotorGuide Brute. *I want to mount it on my Lund aluminum boat,
so have to make a mounting plate. *I want to mount it exactly at the point
of the bow. *Should I have the base down the centerline or follow the
gunnel? *I had another boat with a similar mount, but just a little off
center to the right, parallel with the center line. *It pulled pretty
straight, I just had to turn the motor a tiny bit to compensate. *The
current one is mounted on the gunnel about three feet back from the prow, so
it pulls a lot to one side, and it is difficult to get the engine just right
so it tracks good. *It is also too short, therefore the new one. *How would
you do it?

Steve

visit my sitehttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult..

Sorry steve that I can't help on this matter, but I'm seriously
thinking on getting a motor to mount on the pontoon. It would make a
good bow thruster. especialy for 'parallel parking' LOL!
hk hk is offline

On 4/30/10 10:56 AM, Tim wrote:
On Apr 29, 12:15 pm, "Steve wrote:
[...]

Don't you have a spare diesel-electric in that shop? :)

--
The Tea Party's teabaggers are just the Republican base by another name.
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 30, 10:42*am, hk wrote:
On 4/30/10 10:56 AM, Tim wrote:

On Apr 29, 12:15 pm, "Steve *wrote:
[...]

The Tea Party's teabaggers are just the Republican base by another name.- Hide quoted text -

Well? Actually I do but it's a 10KW with a 4 cyl perkins diesel. I
think that would be a tad bit of overkill.....

But I think a trolling motor would fit the bill nicely.
hk hk is offline

On 4/30/10 12:21 PM, Tim wrote:
On Apr 30, 10:42 am, wrote:
On 4/30/10 10:56 AM, Tim wrote:

On Apr 29, 12:15 pm, "Steve wrote:
[...]

If you gear and prop it properly, the diesel electric will make a hell
of a trolling motor, and the noise will scare all those pesky fish out
of your path. Think of the...torque.

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

reply:

We went on a Princess cruise recently. I was thoroughly impressed on the
parallel parking of those monsters, particularly in Puerta Vallarta. And
San Pedro. Man, was that a tight spot. They sure made it look easy. I
have spent years on oceangoing vessels. Side thrusters were just coming out
at that time, though. Now, the whole prop is on a 360 degree turning pod
astern. IIRC, the bow are still a thruster that has doors that open when
needed.

I don't impress easily. Watching them do their thing made me stand in awe.

Then there's the local launch ramp if you want some REAL Larry, Moe, and
Curly action! Nah, Larry, Moe, and Curly weren't as dumb as that crew.

Steve

Garelick motor mount Katie Ohara General 1 September 18th 09 11:56 AM
Outboard motor mount Frogwatch[_2_] General 0 November 30th 08 12:43 AM
kicker motor mount [email protected] General 2 August 11th 08 05:04 PM
Bow mount trolling motor JB General 4 May 3rd 06 03:18 PM
Motor mount repair Joe Blizzard Cruising 4 March 11th 04 12:55 PM