Default Boat covers and bungee cords

It is my belief that bungee cords should not be used with boat covers, unless
the boat cover is of the 'throwaway' variety.

Bungee cords stretch, and they will often allow the cover to sag a little when
it begins raining or snow. Once the cover sags just a bit, the weight of more
water or snow will cause it to sag even more. The bungee cord is helping this
process because it is stretching to accomodate the extra weight.

When I got my new cover, I followed the maker's advice and bought a tie down kit
to go with it. The kit is only $22.59 Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Carver-Boat-Co.../dp/B0000AYI62

"Constructed Of 1" Black Polypropylene Webbing And Convenient Quick Release
Buckles."

The kits contain 12 straps, each 8' long.

The final product looks like this:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...atCover001.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...atCover002.jpg
--
John H

For a great time, go here first... http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v
hk hk is offline

On 4/16/10 5:18 PM, John H wrote:
It is my belief that bungee cords should not be used with boat covers, unless
the boat cover is of the 'throwaway' variety.

Bungee cords stretch, and they will often allow the cover to sag a little when
it begins raining or snow. Once the cover sags just a bit, the weight of more
water or snow will cause it to sag even more. The bungee cord is helping this
process because it is stretching to accomodate the extra weight.

When I got my new cover, I followed the maker's advice and bought a tie down kit
to go with it. The kit is only $22.59 Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Carver-Boat-Co.../dp/B0000AYI62

"Constructed Of 1" Black Polypropylene Webbing And Convenient Quick Release
Buckles."

The kits contain 12 straps, each 8' long.

Those are precisely the tie-downs I am removing from my boat cover as I
transition to bungee cords. I bought some "adjustable" bungees. Easily
adjustable.

It is my *observation* that the non-stretching webs put all the stress
of rain on the cover, cause the cover to sag under the weight of pooled
rainwater, and allow the cover to press so tightly on boat hardware that
the cover gets punctured. Properly fitted bungee cords that are allowed
to stretch a little act as shock absorbers and take care of the weight
of rain water and also wind pressure.

Snow loads do not concern me, because my canvas boat cover spends its
winters in my garage and my Parker sleeps under its shrinkwrap, which,
properly applied, can absorb one hell of a snow load and if applied
properly, has no areas in which rainwater can pool.

--
http://tinyurl.com/ykxp2ym
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 16, 4:18*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

When I first got my 18'r four years ago, I parked it outside and took
a 10 ft sheet of plywood, and set it on the lip of the windshield and
the back of the i/o engine cover, then put a large cheap, silver , non-
UV collecting tarp over it and used a handful of black rubber straps
to hold it in place from the eye holes to the trailer frame. , nothing
of extreme tightness, and the board did a good job of covering with no
snow/rain/ice building up because there were no pockets being formed.
In the spring, I hosed off the tarp, let it dry, unhooked everything,
folded it up and all was good. The tarp was loose enough that it
wouldn't catch a sharp corner and rip, yet it let plenty of
ventilation flow through the boat, and was firm enough to stay in
place. and not blow away.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:39:53 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

On Apr 16, 4:18*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

No, I am *not* going to cover my boat with a 10' sheet of plywood and a tarp.
Hell, I'd get laughed out of my marina!

John H wrote:
[...]

Nice rig! That's a great way to tie it down. Bungees are not for towing!

hk wrote:
On 4/16/10 5:18 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

Your problem is the cover and its supports, not the tie-downs. A tight
fit will force the rain to drain off. Bungees only encourage more pooling.

John H wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:39:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Apr 16, 4:18 pm, John wrote:

[...]

10' plywood? I've never seen it for sale!

"Larry" wrote in message
John H wrote:
[...]

My cover snaps on, is also good for trailering. But there is an adjustible
support pole in the middle that goes to a reinforced snap to hold it in
place. Allows all the rainwater to run off. I do not store it in snow.
And the rest of the time, it is in a Costco Portable garage for $230.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:22:24 -0700, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
m...
John H wrote:
[...]

I use a support pole also. And, I run a line from the bow, over the console, to
the stern, which provides a tent type structure. Works well.

Like you, I'm not going to risk it in the snow again, although I think I'd be
much better off with these straps than I was with the bungees.

I keep waiting for Harry to tell me who the guy is that did his boat for $8 a
foot or so. Hell, if the guy is good, you'd think Harry would turn some business
his way.

On Apr 16, 4:18 pm, John wrote:

[...]

Knowing Tim, I'll bet he scabbed a few smaller pieces together!

Sea Ray boat covers Haas C General 3 June 27th 08 02:29 AM
power cords and plugs RB Electronics 3 January 29th 06 08:37 PM
WARNING Bungee Love Nidge UK Paddle 0 September 25th 04 10:50 PM
Kill Cords? Steve H General 8 August 11th 04 04:54 PM
boat covers Fred General 4 November 7th 03 11:51 PM