Fred

Default boat covers

I am looking to buy a good boat cover for my 20' IO. There seems to be a
wide variety of materials and prices. I want a well made cover that will
last and can be used to trailer. Any suggestions?

Steve

Sunbrella.. And don't let the canvas shop try to talk you into some
sunbrella look-alike. Verify that it is Sunbrella.

I've never heard of any marine canvas that last nearly as long as
Sunbrella..

I had a Sunbrella full cover on my last boat of 33ft. The previous owner has
paid about $1500 for it in '76. I had it repaired a couple times due to
chaff in the '90s and turned it over to the new owner when I sold the boat
in '97.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Bill Andersen

I got almost four years out of a Road Runner Greystone cover by Canvas
Products Company. Bought it at Boat/US for $179. I use my boat (19'
bowrider) year round, and it's parked in a lot next to a channel of the San
Diego Bay. When I launch in the morning it's usually wet and sits in the
back of my van all day where it can start to mildew.
Four years of sunlight, salt air, and being left wet in the dark before it
started tearing. I thought that was pretty good, so I bought the same thing
as a replacement.
I leave it on for trailering: 30 mile round trip to the local lake
(reservoir) and occasional weekend trips to the Colorado River, about 400
miles each way. I read that leaving the cover on would improve gas mileage;
I haven't noticed that, but it will prevent me from littering if something
isn't properly stowed.

"Fred" wrote in message
I am looking to buy a good boat cover for my 20' IO. There seems to be a
wide variety of materials and prices. I want a well made cover that will
last and can be used to trailer. Any suggestions?

Calif Bill

Sunbrella for a moored boat. For a trailer boat, you want a cover of Top
Gun fabric. Is a coated poly fabric. Got 12 years out or the last cover.
Needed some fixes and someone stole it a monty ago. Get a new one made
Monday. $600 for a snap on cockpit cover for a 21' boat.
Bill

"Steve" wrote in message
Sunbrella.. And don't let the canvas shop try to talk you into some
sunbrella look-alike. Verify that it is Sunbrella.

I've never heard of any marine canvas that last nearly as long as
Sunbrella..

I had a Sunbrella full cover on my last boat of 33ft. The previous owner

has
paid about $1500 for it in '76. I had it repaired a couple times due to
chaff in the '90s and turned it over to the new owner when I sold the boat
in '97.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Mole

Sunbrella. Bought a new one for my new Trophy 1802. Best price I could
find was on coversearch.com. It cost me $150 less than the next nearest
quote. Paid $493 for the custom cover and expect to get at least 10 or more
years out of it. It's a little heavy, but built like a brick outhouse.