posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Getting the boat on your cartop (was Hey... is this thingON?)

Robert Scott wrote:

I sometimes struggle a bit to get my new Pungo 140 loaded onto my roof rack
(Thule crossbars and Yakima "Land Shark" kayak pads.) I've been eyeballing
that Yakima Outrigger rod that slides out of the forward crossbar and allows
you to put the boat up one end at a time. I've never seen one in use and
don't know anyone who has one. Is it an effective and handy loading aid or
just a clever gimmick?

I don't have one myself, but I've seen them in use and tried it once.
My verdict: effective and handy loading aid

YMMV.

I'd suggest going to a dealer and seeing if you can do a demo.

//Walt
posted to rec.boats.paddle

"Walt" wrote in message
Robert Scott wrote:

I sometimes struggle a bit to get my new Pungo 140 loaded onto my roof
rack (Thule crossbars and Yakima "Land Shark" kayak pads.) I've been
eyeballing that Yakima Outrigger rod that slides out of the forward
crossbar and allows you to put the boat up one end at a time. I've never
seen one in use and don't know anyone who has one. Is it an effective
and handy loading aid or just a clever gimmick?

I don't have one myself, but I've seen them in use and tried it once. My
verdict: effective and handy loading aid

YMMV.

I'd suggest going to a dealer and seeing if you can do a demo.

//Walt

Walt I have one I use for loading my Tsunami 14.5 kayak on my Suzuki
Sidekick. I am 6'2, 250 lbs, but over 70. I use it every time I go out,
Saves me a bunch of grief. Would not be with out it.
Mike

posted to rec.boats.paddle

"mike" wrote in message

"Walt" wrote in message
Robert Scott wrote:

[...]

Mike,

What's the beam on your Tsunami? No problems bumping/scraping the car?

Good paddling,
desmobob

Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to ghdfans2010
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kuthe View Post
On Apr 18, 6:24*am, "Robert Scott" wrote:
"Harold Burton" wrote in message

.. .

In article , Robert
Scott wrote:

Is RBP still alive? I haven't been here in a long time...

That's why it's not on . . . people who haven't been here in a long
time.

Sad.

OK... if I apologize for killing RBP, can I ask another question?

I sometimes struggle a bit to get my new Pungo 140 loaded onto my roof rack
(Thule crossbars and Yakima "Land Shark" kayak pads.) *I've been eyeballing
that Yakima Outrigger rod that slides out of the forward crossbar and allows
you to put the boat up one end at a time. *I've never seen one in use and
don't know anyone who has one. *Is it an effective and handy loading aid or
just a clever gimmick?

Thanks for any info,
desmobob

I used to work at an outdoor sports shop, and I have first hand
experience at using them. They ROCK! You just pull the Outrigger out,
get one end of your boat up on it, lift the other end of your boat and
plop it up on the racks, and viola! Then put the Outrigger back in,
get the pads under your boat, tie off and you're on your way.

John Kuthe...

Good idea!
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Pungo finger whacking

"Steve Cramer" wrote in message
Bob, if your hand is coming back far enough to whack that aft clip, you
stroke is too long. Your hand really shouldn't go past your hip, and it
should be lifting the paddle up out of the water as it does. Have a look
at this guy.
http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/Pa...ion/Exit.shtml

A little update on my paddling...

I think my seated posture was causing the problem. When I sit perfectly
upright, or better yet, forward a couple of degrees, the onside hand never
wants to go past my hip. I can feel a noticeable difference in efficiency
when I'm forward just a tad. Damn belly gets in the way a little,
though.... ;-)

That link you provided leads to lots of valuable information. I've spent a
good amount of time there trying to learn and improve. Thanks!

Good paddling,
desmobob

posted to rec.boats.paddle

On 5/25/2010 4:59 PM, Robert Scott wrote:
I can feel a noticeable difference in efficiency
when I'm forward just a tad.

Good discovery learning!

Steve

The sad thing is... Tom Francis - SWSports General 60 January 9th 10 01:06 AM
First thing... [email protected] General 6 January 22nd 09 04:34 PM
Doing the Right Thing Capt. Rob ASA 3 June 3rd 07 01:11 AM
Next big thing John Cairns ASA 0 August 12th 06 06:55 PM
what's this thing in the cockpit? SuperBobo General 5 October 30th 04 12:12 AM