Ted Ted is offline

Default 3.7 rarely hot starts

Hi All,

I have a 3.7 Mercuriser Inline 4cyl motor and have noticed an odd
behavior with it. When at the dock or on the trailer with a cold
motor, it will crank and start right up, but when the motor is fully
warmed up it often doesn't want to crank. I've read of others wth
this motor who get vapor lock in a hot engine but I'm assuming these
folks at least get it to crank, whereas mine won't even crank. I
think I hear the click of the solonoid trying to engage when turning
the key and that's all. Vapor lock doesn't prevent the engine from
cranking does it? If I remove the engine cover and allow it to cool
for a while, it usually cranks and starts right up. The cooling
system is closed so the temp sits at 120-140f max. I installed an
electronic ignition kit about 7 years ago and other than that the
motor is stock. Boat runs great once it starts.

Thanks,
Ted
Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 19, 9:07*pm, Ted wrote:
[...]

are you SURE the battery is good? I had a Buick that would do the
same thing. Even in 0 degree weather, it would start first thing, then
drive it for 10 minutes, go to the gas station, get a cup of coffee,
then all it would do is grunt. leave it set for 5 minutes and it would
start like brand new. all indications was that it had to be something
else, but no it was the battery.

Even if it vapor locked, the engine should crank. Its also possible
that the brushes are corroded in the starter not making a healthy
contact on the armature. OR if it is a GM starter from the mid 80's to
early 90's. believe it or not, they had aluminum field coils in them.
eventually they would corrode internally and when hot, they wouldnt'
crank until cool down.

jps jps is offline

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:07:50 -0700 (PDT), Ted
wrote:

[...]

If you're for sure hearing the solenoid and the battery is good, what
about the starter motor? It'd be interesting to see if it'll crank
over when hot using a manual starter switch. Maybe needs a rebuild or
replacement?

Tim wrote:

wrote:
[...]
replacement?- Hide quoted text -

thanks Tim and JPS,

Yes it's a 1986 motor. The 3.7 is a concoction (sp?) that Mercruiser
came up with (same as a 165 and 470 I think) that is a Ford 460 7.4
liter cut in half then fitted out with a cam driven alternator and
water pump amongst other oddities. Only reason I didn't initially
think of the battery being bad is that once the motor cools down a bit
it will fire up easily. I acutally have a Perko dual battery system
on it to be sure it gets good amps when starting.

Regarding using the starter switch, could I fudge it by cliping one
lead of large jumper cables to hot terminal and then grounding the
other lead right from the battery to see if it spins up or does the
starter switch just bypass the keyswitch and sends voltage to the
starter relay to close the circuit and thus pull power thru the
regular battery cables?

Being a marine starter I'll definitely have to remove it to inspect
the inside for corrosion (sealed to arrest any sparks). It's still a
bit cold up here in Pennsylvania so I probably won't be testing it for
a month or two. I'll post back when I find out more.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
Ted

OK, another question. If you know, is it a Prestolite or a delco
starter? The Prestolite has a separate solenoid that may or may bot
be mounted to the starter motor. Out of the starter field casing there
is a battery stud that either connects to the cable which leads to the
solonoid switch or if the switch is mounted on the field casing it's
connected to the stud with a flat copper strap.

The Delco version would have the solonoid attached to the starters
drive end housing with a small screw attaching the electrical contact
of the solenoid to the field strap.

one thing you can do first is to make sure all connections are in a
fine, non-corroded or 'hot' condition. bad connections make for bad
starts.

If it cranks in 'like new' condition, that is WHEN it cranks, I'd be
suspect of the battery or a 'hot' or loose connection.

Hope that helps

Just something to add to Tim's suggestions.
Sometimes the contact disk in the starter solenoid burns and makes bad
contact. Or the starter drive might stick and prevent the solenoid from
making contact. Sometimes repeatedly turning the key gets the disk to
turn to a clean spot. This is a common springtime problem. Hot
connection is good way to find a bad or loose connection. Just feel
around. One bad connection this method wont check out though is the
physical ground connection between the starter and flywheel housing,
especially if the flywheel housing is aluminum.

"anon-e-moose" wrote in message
Tim wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Years ago, some of the GM starters woiuld drain the battery when trying to
start hot. The gaps between the armature pieces would get partial shorts.
You could clean out the gaps with a hacksaw blade and they worked fine after
that.

Tim wrote:

wrote:
[...]

that.- Hide quoted text -

I agree. I'd look at the starter first. Just as a double check you
could put a breaker bar on the front of the engine and make sure the
engine turns over reasonably well when it's hot.

Thunderbolt Ignition - Starts sometimes [email protected] General 6 May 25th 06 04:10 PM
Rabbit Starts Walt General 7 April 9th 05 08:35 PM
Rabbit Starts Charles Spitzer General 0 April 6th 05 10:06 PM
Lying starts at an early age Jonathan Ganz ASA 0 December 7th 04 12:38 AM
Bush starts another Big Lie... Harry Krause General 0 October 3rd 04 03:11 AM