Walt

Default Rabbit Starts

Anybody know of a good description of how a rabbit start works? I know
it's not part of the IASF rules, but for imprompteau causal racing it's
a reasonable way to do the start.

I can explain it verbally (more or less), but I'm looking for a written
description to tack up on the club bulletin board so that everyone's on
the same page.

In particular, I'm not sure if a boat is entitled to "room" at the
rabbit. I don't think so, but I'd like to hear any corrorabating or
dissenting opinions. Thanks.

--
//-Walt
//
T Smith

"Walt" wrote in message
Anybody know of a good description of how a rabbit start works? I know
it's not part of the IASF rules, but for imprompteau causal racing it's a
reasonable way to do the start.

I can explain it verbally (more or less), but I'm looking for a written
description to tack up on the club bulletin board so that everyone's on
the same page.

In particular, I'm not sure if a boat is entitled to "room" at the rabbit.
I don't think so, but I'd like to hear any corrorabating or dissenting
opinions. Thanks.

--
//-Walt

A windward boat isn't entitled to room at the committee boat, they're
not entitled to room at the rabbit either. Sinking the rabbit is frowned
upon.

Walt

T Smith wrote:
"Walt" wrote

Anybody know of a good description of how a rabbit start works? I know
it's not part of the IASF rules, but for imprompteau causal racing it's a
reasonable way to do the start.

I can explain it verbally (more or less), but I'm looking for a written
description to tack up on the club bulletin board so that everyone's on
the same page.

In particular, I'm not sure if a boat is entitled to "room" at the rabbit.
I don't think so, but I'd like to hear any corrorabating or dissenting
opinions. Thanks.

A windward boat isn't entitled to room at the committee boat, they're
not entitled to room at the rabbit either. Sinking the rabbit is frowned
upon.

Thanks. That's what I thought.

It seems that rabbit starts are kind of like hide-and-seek - everybody
knows how to play, but nobody's bothered to write down the rules.
Actually, that's not entirely true; I've found a couple of descriptions
on the web, but nothing that I'd consider definitive. And there seem to
be several variations - when the rabbit can tack onto starboard, when
the other boats can tack onto port, whether the rabbit is forced to tack
at some point, etc.

--
//-Walt
//
Andy Champ

Walt wrote:

Anybody know of a good description of how a rabbit start works? I know
it's not part of the IASF rules, but for imprompteau causal racing it's
a reasonable way to do the start.

I can explain it verbally (more or less), but I'm looking for a written
description to tack up on the club bulletin board so that everyone's on
the same page.

In particular, I'm not sure if a boat is entitled to "room" at the
rabbit. I don't think so, but I'd like to hear any corrorabating or
dissenting opinions. Thanks.

Try this:

http://www.int505.org/gate001.htm

BTW I've never done one, in 30 years of racing. I suppose oyu need the
big fleets to make it worthwhile!

Andy
Walt

Andy Champ wrote:
Walt wrote:

Anybody know of a good description of how a rabbit start works?

Try this:

http://www.int505.org/gate001.htm

BTW I've never done one, in 30 years of racing. I suppose oyu need the
big fleets to make it worthwhile!

Actually it's mainly used when there aren't many boats participating.
Like when only three or four boats show up for racing and you don't want
to waste one by designating it as race committee. The point is that it
allows a "fair" start without any arguments about being over early.

--
//-Walt
//

T Smith

"Walt" wrote in message
Andy Champ wrote:

BTW I've never done one, in 30 years of racing. I suppose oyu need the
big fleets to make it worthwhile!

Actually it's mainly used when there aren't many boats participating. Like
when only three or four boats show up for racing and you don't want to
waste one by designating it as race committee. The point is that it
allows a "fair" start without any arguments about being over early.

--
//-Walt

It works great when you're out with a few boats.

It was tried at the J/24 East Coast Championships one year to try to
deal the problem of general recalls when there are 80+ boats on the
line. As I recall there was an inflatable acting as a guard boat for the
rabbit.
The rabbit set the pace and course, the inflatable trailed it and you were
supposed
to cross the stern of the inflatable. Unfortunately it didn't work out very
well
and the inflatable was sunk.

Stuart Cresswell

The message
from Walt contains these words:

T Smith wrote:
"Walt" wrote

[...]

Having read the last addition I think you are talking about what we in
UK would call a "Gate Start".

The GBR version of the RRS has an addendum to Appendix L which gives the
necessary Sailing Instructions for such a start.

We use the word "pathfinder" where you use "rabbit"

Try googling on those two new words. The RYA's website www.rya.org.uk
may have the SIs (I haven't tried because they are in my copyt of RRS)

Stuart
Stuart Cresswell

The message
from Walt contains these words:

Actually it's mainly used when there aren't many boats participating.
Like when only three or four boats show up for racing and you don't want
to waste one by designating it as race committee. The point is that it
allows a "fair" start without any arguments about being over early.

BTW not practical in handicap fleets.

Stuart