JAXAshby

Default to the hammer mechanics who think dry starts are fine

gene/rickie, take a look at the bearing that bears the legion (big words, I
know, but deal with it)

"Since oil is the medium used to separate the rotating shaft from the bearing,
without oil pressure (which can be as high as 6,000-8000 psi), the journal
rotating on the dry bearing melts and destroys the bearing."

then remember that an engine has NO pressure oil in the galleys upon startup
and not enough oil in the galleys -- unless the engine has been prelubed -- to
to even have pressure to *any* bearing for several seconds and *all* bearings
for upwards of thirty seconds. Keep in mind that the oil pressure sender unit
is normally between the oil pump and the very first bearing needing pressure
oil (I know, big words, but deal with it)

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main...ublications/ke
yReprints/maintenance/moreAboutOil.html

like I said, dry start your engine if you wish, but only recommend other people
do so if your specific intent is to cause engine damage so you can have a good
supply of broken engines to overload the qualified mechanics (hammer mechanics
are NOT qualified)
Vito

"JAXAshby" wrote

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main...ublications/ke
yReprints/maintenance/moreAboutOil.html

A young woman brought her then near new Healey into the dealership leaking
oil everywhere - the front and rear seals. even pushing the dipstick up to
leak past it!! A quick exam showed the breather very carefully plugged with
an aircraft fitting! Asked how, she explained that her lover had done it for
her to keep oil from dripping from her air filter - a Healey problem so
common that the factory had promulgated a very simple five-minute fix. I
did the job right and while handing her the fitting that'd caused her
problem I remarked that her friend must know very little about engines if he
was foolish enough to completely plug the crankcase breather. She replied
inignantly "He knows a lot more than anybody in this shop - he's a licensed
aircraft mechanic! Works on Lycomings ..."

JAXAshby

yup, so he plugged up the breather. and used an expensive aircraft fitting to
do so.

btw, the quote attributed to me was from someone else. but what the hey.

"JAXAshby" wrote

[...]

JAXAshby

gene, there is very little that you do know.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:36:09 -0400, "Vito" wrote:

"JAXAshby" wrote

[...]

Interesting! A JAX sock puppet.... I never knew such a thing existed!

JAXAshby

ah, gene, that engine was a ***turbine*** engine, not a recip as was under
discussion.

wrote:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in
m:

Now, since you have been a "professional mechanic" since you were just
out of diapers.... suppose you comment on the text contained in
Lycoming Service Instruction Number 1241C.... H-m-m-m-m-m????

I just looked in the bilge.....

Our boat has this greasy old Perkins 4-108 diesel tractor engine in
it....NOT a Lycoming air-cooled aircraft gas engine.....as is quoted.

Wanna go first class?
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index.asp?id=57336