Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ted Ted is offline

Default 3.7 rarely hot starts

Hi All,

I have a 3.7 Mercuriser Inline 4cyl motor and have noticed an odd
behavior with it. When at the dock or on the trailer with a cold
motor, it will crank and start right up, but when the motor is fully
warmed up it often doesn't want to crank. I've read of others wth
this motor who get vapor lock in a hot engine but I'm assuming these
folks at least get it to crank, whereas mine won't even crank. I
think I hear the click of the solonoid trying to engage when turning
the key and that's all. Vapor lock doesn't prevent the engine from
cranking does it? If I remove the engine cover and allow it to cool
for a while, it usually cranks and starts right up. The cooling
system is closed so the temp sits at 120-140f max. I installed an
electronic ignition kit about 7 years ago and other than that the
motor is stock. Boat runs great once it starts.

Thanks,
Ted

Thunderbolt Ignition - Starts sometimes [email protected] General 6 May 25th 06 04:10 PM
Rabbit Starts Walt General 7 April 9th 05 08:35 PM
Rabbit Starts Charles Spitzer General 0 April 6th 05 10:06 PM
Lying starts at an early age Jonathan Ganz ASA 0 December 7th 04 12:38 AM
Bush starts another Big Lie... Harry Krause General 0 October 3rd 04 03:11 AM