Default Why we Float

I was talking to another sailor the other day and I mentioned that I
did not find sailing to be relaxing at all and he and his wife were
astonished. They told me they both immediately relaxed as soon as the
sails were up. My turn to be astonished, "Huh, relax while sailing,
what's the point then"?
I explained how I thought of sailing as an exercise in problem solving
which made them really puzzled like "Why would you want to solve
problems". I told em "cuz that's what engineers do".

Although I always heard people thought of sailing as relaxing, I just
thouhgt it was a sorta inside joke never thinking some sailors
actually DID relax while sailing. "Relaxation", I gotta admit, I am
just not clear on the concept. IF everything goes well, I figger it
was all a waste of time. However if just one thing goes wrong and you
figure a way around it, then it is a success and you can be happy.

Do you go fishing to relax, NO, you go fishing to outsmart the fish
and if you don't you are frustrated. Golf as relaxation, NO, be
serious.

So, I cannot imagine any "sport" as being relaxing. Reading good
fiction is relaxing. Listening to good music with a good cup of coffee
is relaxing.

Boating to relax, I don't get it.

On 3/15/10 8:53 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

I used to sail quite a bit and, in fact, owned a sailboat very similar
to yours. I found sailing it on Chesapeake Bay to be very relaxing and
peaceful. Of course, My boat wasn't falling apart around me as yours is.

I go fishing to relax. I don't really give a damn whether I catch any.

Of course, I'm not a candidate for a committal to the Florida State
Hospitals...and you are.

--

If the X-MimeOLE "header" doesn't say:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8)
Gecko/20100227 Thunderbird/3.0.3 (or higher)

then it isn't me, it's an ID spoofer.

On Mar 15, 9:02*pm, HK wrote:
[...]

then it isn't me, it's an ID spoofer.- Hide quoted text -

And the Harry lies and tall tails start in 3.....2....1....

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:02:05 -0400, HK
wrote:

I used to sail quite a bit and, in fact, owned a sailboat very similar
to yours. I found sailing it on Chesapeake Bay to be very relaxing and
peaceful.

Sailing is a slow and outmoded form of transportation which usually
results in going around in circles while cursing power boaters. I'd
rather fly to where I'm going than waste my time slogging around with
something like that.

wrote:

I used to sail quite a bit and, in fact, owned a sailboat very similar
to yours. I found sailing it on Chesapeake Bay to be very relaxing and
peaceful.

Sailing is a slow and outmoded form of transportation which usually
results in going around in circles while cursing power boaters. I'd
rather fly to where I'm going than waste my time slogging around with
something like that.

Well, sailing doesn't have to be slow...I saw one sailboat out in San
Diego in 2008 that could sail circles around your barge...she just won
the America's cup.

I enjoyed my sailboat the three years on the bay I had her. She *was*
not very fast.

wrote:

[...]

WHHHOOOOSSSSHHHHHH!!!!!!
Don't you remember spewing THIS gem, fatass?

Naw. I'd rather fly. My round trip to costa rica cost me about $370
in
airfare, and took about seven hours in the air. Once there, did
plenty
of boating and fishing. To me, being where I want to be is a lot more
fun than slogging my way there. To each his own

wrote:

[...]

You still cannot think in the abstract, eh, s.f.b.?

Sailing around on a relatively small body of water, like Chesapeake Bay,
was fun for me when we did it. Taking a slow trawler barge to get to
Costa Rica would not be fun for me, now or back then. I wanted to get to
C.R. so I could enjoy my time off *there*, not waste my off getting
there. And, as I have posted many times, "to each his own."

With a couple of breaks, this summer one of my clients will want me to
attend a week-long meeting in Geneva. It's very tentative at the moment,
but...I hope to fly to London, grab the Eurostar to Paris, and then the
Lyria TGV to Geneva. On the way back, we'll rent a car so we can see
some more of Switzerland and a decent part of France. High speed planes,
high speed trains, lower speed car... :)

You know, to each his own.

On 3/15/2010 9:02 PM, HK wrote:
On 3/15/10 8:53 PM, Frogwatch wrote:

I used to sail quite a bit and, in fact, owned a sailboat very similar
to yours. I found sailing it on Chesapeake Bay to be very relaxing and
peaceful. Of course, My boat wasn't falling apart around me as yours is.

I go fishing to relax. I don't really give a damn whether I catch any.

Of course, I am a VERY VERY relaxed guy, so I really don't have to boat
much. In fact, if you look at my posting history, you will see that I
normally go boating about 3 or 4 times a year. I can't imagine
anything worse than "boating" the way Whine boats. My god, what a waste
of time, spending day after day on a boat, just enjoying yourself.

In article ,
says...

[...]

So, those long summer nights when I take my boat up the river and anchor in
some marsh with a guitar and a six pack, I am not relaxing? Huh, guess I will
have to bring more beer

Scotty

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

Float identification... Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] General 3 September 6th 08 12:16 AM
Float switches Gordon Cruising 0 March 5th 08 06:08 PM
The Boat Who Wouldn't Float - why not? druid Cruising 0 October 31st 07 02:26 AM
Will the old boat float? Chris General 8 September 25th 04 04:06 AM