Chris

Default Will the old boat float?

Hi there,

I'm working on my project boat, 1975 fiberglass (I acquired recently), and
the question I keep getting asked is will she float? I know it did when it
was used last 10+ years ago, but since then hasn't been in water.

Would there be any reason to believe that it may not float?
What would the tell tale signs be?

Cheers

Harry Krause

Chris wrote:
Hi there,

I'm working on my project boat, 1975 fiberglass (I acquired recently), and
the question I keep getting asked is will she float? I know it did when it
was used last 10+ years ago, but since then hasn't been in water.

Would there be any reason to believe that it may not float?
What would the tell tale signs be?

Cheers

Water coming in over the sides is a good indicator...

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

What, me worry?
Steve Daniels

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:54:52 -0400, something compelled "Chris"
, to say:

Hi there,

I'm working on my project boat, 1975 fiberglass (I acquired recently), and
the question I keep getting asked is will she float? I know it did when it
was used last 10+ years ago, but since then hasn't been in water.

Would there be any reason to believe that it may not float?
What would the tell tale signs be?

If it displaces less than it weighs, it will sink. If it
displaces more than it weighs, it will float.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:54:52 -0400, "Chris"
wrote:

Hi there,

I'm working on my project boat, 1975 fiberglass (I acquired recently), and
the question I keep getting asked is will she float? I know it did when it
was used last 10+ years ago, but since then hasn't been in water.

Would there be any reason to believe that it may not float?

Holes in the bottom might be a good indicator.

What would the tell tale signs be?

A slow settling of the boat in the water such that water starts to
enter the boat over the gunwales causing it to sink below the surface
is a pretty good sign that the boat has sunk.

I suspect that the boat will float properly once it's in the water.
How long it stays that way depends on how well you restore it.

Later,

Tom
John Gaquin

"Chris" wrote in message

What would the tell tale signs be?

Little or no hesitation at the water surface during launch.

basskisser

"Chris" wrote in message ...
Hi there,

I'm working on my project boat, 1975 fiberglass (I acquired recently), and
the question I keep getting asked is will she float? I know it did when it
was used last 10+ years ago, but since then hasn't been in water.

Would there be any reason to believe that it may not float?

Yes, a big hole in the hull below the water line would be a good
reason. As would fittings below the water line that don't go anywhere
anymore.

What would the tell tale signs be?

Wet feet.
Taco Heaven

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
Would there be any reason to believe that it may not float?

Yes, a big hole in the hull below the water line would be a good
reason. As would fittings below the water line that don't go anywhere
anymore.

What would the tell tale signs be?

Wet feet.

Great reply, it is nice to see that even Basskisser can be funny.

CaptMP

Gee, Taco...you don't give us much to go on. A boating course SHOULD be in
your future before you hurt yourself. The hull, provided it doesn't have holes
or cracks below the waterline should float, however any through hull fittings
for a bait pump or engine cooling (is it an inboard engine, an inboard/outboard
engine or an outboard engine?) etc. could sink you. You should talk to other
(more experienced) boaters in your area.
Best wishes
Mike