Default US delaying needed supplies?

Harry Krause wrote:
Harry wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
bpuharic wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:57:52 -0400, "Don White"
wrote:

We keep hearing complaints that the US military is hogging the
main airport with its' one runway for their own purposes (flying
in soldiers) rather than letting all the relief planes arrive.
Saw a report tonight of a makeshift hospital, a couple hundred
feet from the airport, sewing a couple of kids up without
anesthetic or other medical supplies.
Might be time for the Americans to go out and play soldier while
someone else runs the airport.
The Haitian people need all manner of medical supplies today...not
next week.

ever been involved in a mass casualty event? the logistics are
incredible. the 2nd guessers and backbench warmers can sit this one
out.
Donnie is my best buddy, but he suffers from a severe inferiority
complex.

It is common among Canadians, Donnie ...

Ahh...I see the ID spoofing assholes of rec.boats, aka the flajim
crowd, are active already today.

Ahh....Is the Harry Krause crowd going to continue to drive away
boaters that come here to ask questions and talk about boats?

Since I might spend 10 hrs a year boating, why in the world would I want
to discuss any boating topic?

Uh-huh...I think you are talking about Herring Scheisskopf...and Jim,
*you* don't have a boat.

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:30:59 -0500, lil abner wrote:

Don White wrote:
"Harry" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
We keep hearing complaints that the US military is hogging the main
airport with its' one runway for their own purposes (flying in soldiers)
rather than letting all the relief planes arrive. Saw a report tonight
of a makeshift hospital, a couple hundred feet from the airport, sewing a
couple of kids up without anesthetic or other medical supplies.
Might be time for the Americans to go out and play soldier while someone
else runs the airport.
The Haitian people need all manner of medical supplies today...not next
week.

Full employment for the military?

Might be.
The French and Doctors Without Borders were also complaining about the big
bottleneck and the slow pace of getting supplies out where they're needed.

Who would run it?
The Haitian Officials was apparently still running the airport in some
capacity.
There is only so much room to land and park.
The Chinese held up landings, at one point, while they posed their
aircraft and "Workers" for a photo op.
There was a msnbc report, I think, that they had more food than they
could distribute or store.
The Medical needs seem to be huge. It takes time. I think our People are
doing a great job.

If one is really interested in doing anything besides trashing the USA
(liberals, take note), one might look at the Port au Prince map and
check out the airport. When doing so, note how many highways go from
the airport to downtown. One major road, which is a log jam, as shown
on CNN yesterday.

The government in Haiti is almost non-existent. But, if I were running
things the first thing I'd do is bar all non-essential traffic from
the streets.
--
John H

All decisions are the result of binary thinking.

wrote:

We keep hearing complaints that the US military is hogging the main airport
with its' one runway for their own purposes (flying in soldiers) rather than
letting all the relief planes arrive. Saw a report tonight of a makeshift
hospital, a couple hundred feet from the airport, sewing a couple of kids up
without anesthetic or other medical supplies.
Might be time for the Americans to go out and play soldier while someone
else runs the airport.
The Haitian people need all manner of medical supplies today...not next
week.

Mass casualty events are always difficult to service properly. I
particular in these kinds of situations. One runway, no fuel depot
and no practical ATC, the only recourse you have is the military and
if there is a military that is capable of getting it on track, it's
ours - possibly your country as you have a sealift and air capacity
that's pretty good.

Air support is all well and good, but you can't transport the
quantities needed in a situation like this - it has to come by sea or
overland. And that takes time. I was involved in the St. Croix
efforts after Hurricane Hugo and can tell you from practical
experience that it's difficult without ATC. Give credit to the Devil,
KV4FZ did yoeman's work controlling air traffic until the military got
there to set up. And even then it wasn't easy. Haiti is three/four
times worse than the St. Croix.

The other part of the problem is that everybody wants to help even if
it's not needed. You have an event like this and suddenly you've got
every country in the world with an interest rushing in to "help". That
just creates chaos. I know when I was involved in urban search and
rescue with my dogs, the one thing they tell you is not to rush to the
scene - wait to be called and dispatched. The opposite happened here.

I'm not saying that mistakes happen - they do. But soldiers are
necessary to the effort for a variety of reasons from distributing aid
to providing security - and Haitians need some sort of security.

Perhaps it's time for Canadians and Americans to declare Haiti a
protectorate and get on with the reconstruction - collectively your
government and mine has an interest in maintaining order there.

Harry Krause wrote:
Harry wrote:
Harry wrote:
wrote:

[...]

You tell me. Why is Harry Krause here?

Harry wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
Harry wrote:
Harry wrote:
wrote:

[...]

When Jim gets a boat, you'll be the first to remind him that he has a
boat, no?. Who the Hell is Scheisskoph? Is Hebrew your native tongue?

Harry Krause wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
Don White wrote:

Well the Halifax newspaper is the ONLY news source reporting all of
the "good work" Canada is doing. Actually the rest of the world just
let's Canada come down so Canada doesn't feel left out. Sort of like
when you have a baby brother, and he wants to play with the big boys.
Canada.... everyone's little baby brother.

Heck, even BBC has no idea that Canada is even participating in the
Haitian relief effort. Actually they are there, just not doing
anything worthwhile, but it does give the Halifax newspaper something to
print besides the high crime rate. Donnie, do you think it is
Halifax's severe alcohol abuse problems or just anti-social behavior of
Canadians that is the root of your crime wave?

Here is a Canadian new source that hits the nail on the head, it seems
that even Canadians realize that your piddling effort sucks.

"Over the course of the past decade, Canada's leading officials and most
prestigious commentators have learned how to approach Haiti in the
spirit of cynical power politics and racist condescension (or worse)
while maintaining a posture of national self-flattery. With attention
again riveted on Haiti following the horrific tragedy inflicted by
Tuesday's earthquake, this ugly mixture is once again on display. The
need for emergency aid is, without question, urgent [see below for
links]. But established patterns of “help” for Haiti need to be overcome
if the destructive impact of this catastrophe is to be somehow limited.

Scattered self-congratulations can already be heard in Canada's
mainstream press (a willing partner, for the most part, in recent
Canadian government crimes against Haiti). On Thursday, papers across
the country ran editorials on Canadian policy and the relief effort.
Under the title “Helping Haiti,” the Calgary Herald editorialized that
“Canada's response is not only appropriate, but one to be proud of. …
Once again, Canada's humanitarianism and compassion shines brightly.”
The Montreal Gazette concurred: “Canadians have, to their credit, been
involved in helping Haiti help itself for years.” For its part, the
Globe and Mail yet again cast Haiti as the “basket case of the Western
hemisphere,” the editorial headline promising that “Today's rescue is
just the beginning.”

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...t=va&aid=17021

Don White wrote:
"Harry" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
[...]

All decisions are the result of binary thinking.- Hide quoted text -

Gee, makes you wonder just how in hell those Israelis got those state
of the art hospitals set up, doesn't it?

In article 0550a6e2-f16d-4160-a78d-
, says...

Don White wrote:
"Harry" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
[...]

Probably the same way the Americans did... What's your point? We are
closer, stands to reason we would be there first. I don't see why you
are making this political?

Scotty