mmc mmc is offline

Default Time Bandit of Most Dangerous Catch - Flat Bottom

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:30:38 -0400, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:

There's a lot of hull below that water line - it may be flat bottomed,
but most "ships" are really - not built for speed, but endurance and
long range efficiency.

Container ships are built for speed. Tankers are not.

Casady

Aircraft carriers and gator freighters have flat bottoms. Acres and acres
and acres of flat bottom. Makes it a bitch to find a particular spot on the
hull and in murky water with the light diffussed it's easy to get
disoriented.

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:42:12 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

There's a lot of hull below that water line - it may be flat bottomed,
but most "ships" are really - not built for speed, but endurance and
long range efficiency.

Container ships are built for speed. Tankers are not.

Casady

Aircraft carriers and gator freighters have flat bottoms. Acres and acres
and acres of flat bottom. Makes it a bitch to find a particular spot on the
hull and in murky water with the light diffussed it's easy to get
disoriented.

Virtually all ships have flat bottoms, tens of thousands of them, of
all types and sizes.

Casady

On Oct 28, 6:02*pm, H the K wrote:
On 10/28/09 5:50 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Surprised me, but then I'm not a naval architect or experienced enough
to know better.
Not much detail, but should be interesting to most boaters.

http://www.boattest.com/VLibrary/vPlay.aspx?ID=2048

--Vic

That's no surprise. The boat doesn't use its hull bottom to cut through
waves. Further, flat bottom boats roll less.

WOW, such insight from the person who claims to know all there is to
know about boating.....

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 07:21:04 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

Don't think so. Although I'm not an expert on hull shapes, I think
the most common is called round bilge.
Don't know the actual shape of the time bandit, but from the clip I
got the impression it's not common for the crab boats.
It was made with shallow water in mind, but is used in the deep.
Not as maneuverable as other hull types.

Found this:

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/punew...165221058.html
The captains' ages are — Sig (42), Andy (44), Keith and Jonathan (45)
and Phil (51). Their vessels' dimensions, ages and propulsions are,
respectively — Northwestern, 127 x 32 x 14 feet is 31 years old,
powered by a 1,300 hp Cat; the Wizard, 155 x 31 x 13 feet, is 63 years
old and powered by a 1,300 hp Cat; the Cornelia Marie, 130 x 30 x 14
is 18 years old and is powered by two 900 hp Mitsubishis; and Time
Bandit, 113 x 28 x 8 is 17 years old and powered by a pair of 425 hp
Cumins. The Time Bandit is also flat-bottomed. The Wizard is a former
U.S. Navy yard oiler.

Note the Time Bandiit's 8' draft.

--Vic

On 10/29/09 9:21 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:55:45 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Most steel ships in commercial use have hard angled bilges. Most of the
crabbers' ships draw a hell of a lot more water than it appears. Where
do you think all those tons of seafood go? Into a deep, deep, bilge.

Take a look at some of the photos on this site...and the descriptions:

http://www.fredwahlmarine.com/constr...skanDream.html

wrote:

Don't think so. Although I'm not an expert on hull shapes, I think
the most common is called round bilge.

The bilge is the transition from the almost universally flat bottoms
and the flat sides of ships. [Bilge is also the lowest part of the
inside of a ship. Inside, not outside]. Round bilge small boats can
have flat, or distinctly non flat bottoms. V bottoms are quite useful
when a boat is planing, as V hull boats will cut waves, rather than
pound. A V bottom in a sailboat allows placing the ballast further
below the center of bouyancy, giving a larger righting moment.
In a freighter a V bottom will tend to reduce the volumn available for
cargo, and increase the draft, as well as increasing the tendency to
roll in waves.

Casady
mmc mmc is offline

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:42:12 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

There's a lot of hull below that water line - it may be flat bottomed,
but most "ships" are really - not built for speed, but endurance and
long range efficiency.

Container ships are built for speed. Tankers are not.

Casady

Aircraft carriers and gator freighters have flat bottoms. Acres and acres
and acres of flat bottom. Makes it a bitch to find a particular spot on
the
hull and in murky water with the light diffussed it's easy to get
disoriented.

Virtually all ships have flat bottoms, tens of thousands of them, of
all types and sizes.

Casady

I haven't been under all of them Casady! Ha! Mostly just Navy ships and subs
but I know what you mean. I dove the "Range Sentinal" a half dozen or so
times.
It was cool for me because she is/was a converted Liberty ship and at the
time used to track Trident launches.