Oddgeir Kvien

Default How long curing time for Epoxy before priming and bottom paint

I am building a boat and am soon ready to put primer and bottom paint on
the hull. How long should the Epoxy cure before I put on the primer and
the bottom paint? I am using SP-System 106 Epoxy with fast hardener.

( My project can be seen he http://www.oddgeirkvien.com/baat )

--
Oddgeir
Evan Gatehouse

Oddgeir Kvien wrote:
I am building a boat and am soon ready to put primer and bottom paint on
the hull. How long should the Epoxy cure before I put on the primer and
the bottom paint? I am using SP-System 106 Epoxy with fast hardener.

( My project can be seen he http://www.oddgeirkvien.com/baat )

I'd say generally at least 1 week, but it depends on your
local temperatures. You could also ask SP.

Evan Gatehouse

Lew Hodgett

Oddgeir Kvien wrote:

I am building a boat and am soon ready to put primer and bottom paint on
the hull. How long should the Epoxy cure before I put on the primer and
the bottom paint? I am using SP-System 106 Epoxy with fast hardener.

Sounds like a question for SP?

Lew

A week seems about right, especially if the local temperature is above
about 60 deg F (though I have no personal experience with the epoxy
you're using).

Be *sure* to wash the cured epoxy surface to remove the amine blush
before you proceed to the next step, which will likely include sanding
the surface (*after* you've washed it) with something like 150 grit
paper.

MW

Oddgeir Kvien

On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:14:11 -0700, mike.e.worrall wrote:

A week seems about right, especially if the local temperature is above
about 60 deg F (though I have no personal experience with the epoxy
you're using).

It has been rather cold here lately, freezing in the night :-( I hope for
some sun in the weekend, then I can drag the boat out in the sun to speed
up the process.

I'll call SP (or Diab which sells it here in Norway) on monday.

Be *sure* to wash the cured epoxy surface to remove the amine blush
before you proceed to the next step, which will likely include sanding
the surface (*after* you've washed it) with something like 150 grit
paper.

Yes, I intend to wash it properly before sanding. After sanding I am going
to clean it with Acetone before I apply the primer. I plan to use a two
part Epoxy primer from Jotun. (www.jotun.no). According to their
information I can apply anti fouling bottom paint on the primer after
10-12 hours and before 3 - 7 days, depending on the temperature.

--
Oddgeir
I am building a boat: http://www.oddgeirkvien.com/baat

Paul Oman

Yes, I intend to wash it properly before sanding. After sanding I am going
to clean it with Acetone before I apply the primer. I plan to use a two
part Epoxy primer from Jotun. (www.jotun.no). According to their
information I can apply anti fouling bottom paint on the primer after
10-12 hours and before 3 - 7 days, depending on the temperature.

----

epoxies take upwards of a week to cure completely so in theory the best
time to recoat or coat with anything, is within that week, ideally as
soon as the epoxy is hard enough to handle the abuse of applying
something on top of it. That way there is a chemical bonding between the
layers besides the regular mechanical bond.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers

Roger Derby

I've heard tell that acetone from the orange box (and other affordable
suppliers) is reclaimed and may contain impurities that will do bad things
to the epoxy. Maybe just water to get rid of the amine blush?

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

Yes, I intend to wash it properly before sanding. After sanding I am going
to clean it with Acetone before I apply the primer. I plan to use a two
part Epoxy primer from Jotun. (www.jotun.no). According to their
information I can apply anti fouling bottom paint on the primer after
10-12 hours and before 3 - 7 days, depending on the temperature.

I do beleive you heard incorrectly. The H.D.'s here in So. Calif sell
Klean-Strip acetone (product code GAC18).

It has not been reclaimed (and at nearly $13 / gallon, it %$#@ well
better not be!).

I tried a batch of reclaimed acetone once (bought from the local
wholsale glass/resin supplier) and you could tell *immediately* that
this was 'different' - it felt sticky.

The Klean-Strip does *not* exhibit this obvious symptom.

MW

Oddgeir Kvien

Lew Hodgett wrote in message link.net...
Oddgeir Kvien wrote:

I am building a boat and am soon ready to put primer and bottom paint on
the hull. How long should the Epoxy cure before I put on the primer and
the bottom paint? I am using SP-System 106 Epoxy with fast hardener.

Sounds like a question for SP?

Diab, the norwegian distributor says one day.

I have been waiting one week, I even have draged the boat out in the
sun and covered it with black plastic. Time to procede with the next
sted today then I beleive.

--
Oddgeir
I am building a boat, http://www.oddgeirkvien.com/baat
Paul Oman

Oddgeir Kvien wrote:

I am building a boat and am soon ready to put primer and bottom paint on
the hull. How long should the Epoxy cure before I put on the primer and
the bottom paint? I am using SP-System 106 Epoxy with fast hardener.

( My project can be seen he http://www.oddgeirkvien.com/baat )

Sooner is generally better as the epoxies will take a week or so to cure
fully. If you topcoat before then (12 hours - a few days) you'll also
get some chemical bonding between the coatings besides a pure mechanical
bond.

If you didn't use a non blushing epoxy, be sure to wash surface before
applying the topcoats.

paul oman

--

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include
a free trip around the Sun every year."

PAUL OMAN Progressive Epoxy Polymers, Inc.
Frog Pond Hollow - 48 Wildwood Drive
Pittsfield NH 03263
10:30-3:30 Monday-Thur EST 603-435-7199
VISA/MC/Discover/Paypal