posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Capsize Prevention

H the K wrote:
On 10/20/09 7:46 AM, Jeff wrote:
Bill McKee wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
But what if it wasn't the engine but the genset? What if the engine
was running but the transmission was broken. Or not warmed up enough
to put in gear? If the sail is drawing you have to treat it as a
sailboat. (And yes, I've seen a sailboat powering into the wind with
the sail luffing, insisting the he has right of way over other
sailboats!)

Motor running power boat. Not warm enough engine? Same could be said
for any motor driven boat.

Oh really??? Is it that common for "motor driven boats" to deliberately
leave a slip or mooring before the engine is warmed up?

Actually, yes. I see it all the time.

Please post this a fourth time.

How can you berate others for their newsreader issues, WAFA?

wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:03:24 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:46:42 -0400, Jeff wrote:

So, are you claiming that running a genset really does make a sailboat a
powerboat???

A genset is not a propulsion engine obviously.

The issue here is not so much with other boats recognizing who is
legally under sail, but rather with the behavior of the sail boat.
If the skipper of a sailboat with the propulsion engine running
continues to behave as the stand-on vessel when otherwise burdened, he
is breaking the rules and creating a dangerous situation. This is
actually quite logical when you think about it. Otherwise a give-way
sailboat under power could simply shift into neutral and reclaim the
right-of-way at the last minute.

Exactly. If I have my engine on (don't own a genset), I consider myself a
powerboat and act accordingly. No confusion is possible from other boats.

My take on this whole thing is, If I see a sailboat with canvas up I
stay out of his way. Even if he doesn't really have the right of way
he thinks he does. It's a beautiful day on the water, I am not in a
hurry to get anywhere and I don't want to argue today.

I have had them put up sails while the motor is running and do a 90 degree
to cross in front of me. And then they look at you as if you are an idiot.

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:03:24 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That's when you pitch some nice stinky mackerel onto their pretty white
deck...