Default Boat Crime Prevention Tips

While we have historically had very few problems with boat thefts and
burglaries, (we still have million dollar boats secured by seven-dollar
padlocks), there has been a rash of boat and equipment thefts in the
Seattle area this winter. Plasma video screens are a specific and
popular target, as well as marine electronics in general.

The Exectuive Director of our local yacht brokers association sent the
following letter to the membership, and many of the crime deterring
tips are applicable in almost any area of the country.

BOAT BREAK-INS CONTINUE AROUND WATERFRONT

HELP US STOP THE RECENT CRIME WAVE!

To report suspicious activity, call immediately, 9-1-1 or:
* Detective W.L. Schorsch, Seattle Police Department. 206.684.5712; or
* Crime Stoppers of Puget Sound. All calls are kept confidential.
1.800.CRIME.13

Dear NYBA Members:

In the past two days, another three break-ins have been reported to the
Seattle Police Department from NYBA members. Plus, some of you may
have
read about the two yachts that were recently stolen from Tacoma. Both
vessels, fortunately, have been recovered, though one was abandoned and
sustained damages.

All NYBA members need to be on the look out for suspicious activities
around
the docks. The crime wave targeting boats has not stopped.

Based on our conversations with the police department, we are passing
on the
following tips:

If your vessel is broken into or you observe criminal activity, call
911
immediately. DO NOT ENTER THE BOAT! The best chance the police have
of
catching the criminal is through forensics.

Compile an inventory of equipment with serial and model numbers. This
will
aid the police in locating any fenced items.

The police also recommend installing hidden cameras aboard the boats.
The
criminals will be looking for property cameras to avoid but not see
well-concealed cameras on boat. The police recommend a digital system
that
can be readily purchased at Radio Shack or I-SPY.

DO NOT SET UP YOUR OWN STAKEOUT. This could be dangerous.

You can help us stop this crime wave plaguing our waterfront. Please
remember:

Let all of your clients and everyone on your dock know about the
thefts.
Encourage them to take every precaution in protecting their boat.
Encourage
neighbors to keep an eye on neighbor's boats. Have them report any
unusual
activity immediately.

Immediately report anything suspicious. If you see someone who may be
casing your boats, acting funny or making inquiries that seem a little
odd,
or if you remember anything that seemed suspicious to you on an earlier
day,
please report the incident immediately. If you have any information,
please
call:

Call 911 Immediately. Then, call
Detective W.L. Schorsch, Seattle Police Department. 206.684.5712; or
Crime Stoppers of Puget Sound. All calls are kept confidential.
1.800.CRIME.13

Crime Stoppers of Puget Sound have established a reward for information
leading to the arrest of the suspects. Several companies and
individuals,
including the Northwest Yacht Brokers Association, have contributed to
the
reward.

We can all work together for the common good of the community, the
prevention of crime, and the hunt for the thieves stalking our
community.
Help us stop it today!

Best Regards,
JDB

Jeffrey D. Briggs
Executive Director
Northwest Yacht Brokers Association

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 September 29th 04 05:19 AM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
I was a Mac26X owner EdGordonRN ASA 119 April 22nd 04 04:58 AM