Default Volvo Penta 350 86 white smoke

Hey Guys, I have an 86 Penta 350 in my Bayliner and at start up there
is no smoke, but when it gets warmed up around 170, it starts putting
out white smoke. My oil is clean and the engine runs pretty smooth
however I am getting very little to no water out the exhaust and yes I
have the outdrive with the prop off resting in a tank of water. No
leaking water into the bilge. I just replaced the impeller and am now
thinking of the water pump, but the smoke is making think there is
another problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

On Sep 9, 2:32*pm, JustWait wrote:
In article 4daf59a8-a04b-4b50-aaf8-38b4a396f8f0
@u36g2000prn.googlegroups.com, says...

Hey Guys, I have an 86 Penta 350 in my Bayliner and at start up there
is no smoke, but when it gets warmed up around 170, it starts putting
out white smoke. My oil is clean and the engine runs pretty smooth
however I am getting very little to no water out the exhaust and yes I
have the outdrive with the prop off resting in a tank of water. No
leaking water into the bilge. I just replaced the impeller and am now
thinking of the water pump, but the smoke is making think there is
another problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Check the cooling system, is it a closed system? White smoke could mean
antifreeze...

--
Wafa free since 2009

Open system, no coolant.

fzbuilder wrote:
[...]

Blown head gasket...maybe. Water pump is a good idea, too. What do the
spark plugs look like? Oily or watery?

--
Birther-Deather-Tenther-Teabagger:
Idiots All

"H the K" wrote in message
m...
fzbuilder wrote:
[...]

Chevy's emit white smoke if you have bad valve guides or lose a cylinder.
If no water is pumping, the temp may be too high and the oil is getting too
thin.

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:03:58 -0700 (PDT), fzbuilder
wrote:

Hey Guys, I have an 86 Penta 350 in my Bayliner and at start up there
is no smoke, but when it gets warmed up around 170, it starts putting
out white smoke. My oil is clean and the engine runs pretty smooth
however I am getting very little to no water out the exhaust and yes I
have the outdrive with the prop off resting in a tank of water. No
leaking water into the bilge. I just replaced the impeller and am now
thinking of the water pump, but the smoke is making think there is
another problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

There are a lot of possibilities but it sounds like you are getting
cooling water mixed in with the combustion process somewhe

Blown head gasket

Rusted risers or exhaust manifolds

Cracked head or block

Replacing risers and exhaust manifolds is routine maintenance - every
6 to 10 years for freshwater boats, half that for salt water. It it
hasn't been done, that is probably your problem.

On Sep 9, 3:03*pm, fzbuilder wrote:
Hey Guys, I have an 86 Penta 350 in my Bayliner and at start up there
is no smoke, but when it gets warmed up around 170, it starts putting
out white smoke. My oil is clean and the engine runs pretty smooth
however I am getting very little to no water out the exhaust and yes I
have the outdrive with the prop off resting in a tank of water. No
leaking water into the bilge. I just replaced the impeller and am now
thinking of the water pump, but the smoke is making think there is
another problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

My I/O impeller could not pull water from a "tank" ... could be you're
getting very little cooling water and so the output is steam ... I'm
surprised it's not overheating. I'd recommend the garden hose and
muffs thingy ... then see if water's coming out the exhaust once up to
temp and the thermostat opens.

wrote:
[...]

Ok here is were I am at.
Took hose from raw water pump and un-hooked it from the thermostat
housing. Started it up and am getting good water shooting out. Took
out the thermostat. Filled the engine with water and flushed it a few
times with a shop vac. Very rusty water. Put housing back on without
thermostat and still no flow out the outdrive. Pulled one of the
risers and they are super clean. I just replaced them 3 years ago, but
have been working on this boat most of that time. I would say it has
to be the water pump at this point. Yes?
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:
[...]

If the pump is working, why do you suspect it is the problem? Look for a
blocked power steering cooler. Also some Volvo models have a sea
strainer mounted on the engine. If yours has one you need to clean it
out. Is it possible that you might have a kinked hose or maybe even have
some hoses attached wrong?

Volvo Penta 39; Req. for Doc. H. Overbeek General 1 January 8th 09 02:55 PM
Volvo Penta 700 [email protected] General 0 June 10th 06 05:18 PM
Volvo Penta 39; Req. for Doc. H. Overbeek General 6 March 28th 06 08:22 PM
Volvo Penta Fernando Boat Building 2 April 29th 05 05:15 PM
Volvo Penta MD1 Niclas Flatholm Boat Building 6 August 10th 03 02:19 AM