BoatBanter.com

-   -   I blame Scot... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/106121-i-blame-scot.html)

jim7856 May 24th 09 03:37 PM

I blame Scot...

HK wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:49:54 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

The parts come in and are assembled here. My wife's Toyota Venza
states on the window sticker, 80% manufactured outside the USA. The
building of those parts are not here. The assembling is.

It's hard to get real source info since the Chamber of Commerce bought
out the Congress and raped labeling regulations.
It's my impression that some Honda/Toyota vehicles have more American
labor in them then some "Big 3" stuff.
You have to look into it hard to come to any answer.
The bally-hooed Ford Fusion is made in Mexico and Japan.
Even throwing an engine together at an engine plant provides less
work than the forging, casting, machining, heat-treating of the engine
parts. If those parts are shipped in from elsewhere, that's where the
bulk of the work was performed.
It's a lot of smoke and mirrors, all done to get the cheapest labor
and make folks think their local community won't be affected.
And it's all falling apart now.
When that insurance agent with the foreign car and the foreign
everything else can't find anybody who can afford his policies
he'll begin to see the light.
Henry Ford knew this, and paid his workers enough to buy his cars.
Don't know about his descendants, since making them in Mexico and
Japan isn't exactly contributing to American buying power.
--Vic

Maybe we'll have "fair trade" on manufactured goods soon, as we do with
some imports of coffee and other foodstuffs.

---

Dick Cheney is rooting for America to be attacked by terrorists before
2012 so he can blame Barack Obama and the Democrats.

Now you are projecting your thought processes onto Cheeny. What a guy.

Wasn't too long ago you were thrilled to point out the failure of any
endeavor on Bushes part that was intended to improve upon our country's
well being.

You are a moronic POS. But still I wish you a happy Memorial Day.

jps May 24th 09 06:54 PM

I blame Scot...

wrote:

[...]

They use "assemble" when referring to putting the cars togethers.

It wasn't clear whether the engines "built" in Alabama were of
American parts or foriegn.

I'd expect some of each but it'd be good to know how built differs
from assembled in Honda parlance.

jps May 24th 09 06:56 PM

I blame Scot...

On Sat, 23 May 2009 06:30:20 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

jps wrote:

I buy American when possible. Our latest auto is a Honda Pilot,
which was manufactured in the US. I'm turning my BMW in this
September and considering what's next. Maybe a hybrid.

I NEVER shop at walmart, the official retailer of the RNC and
"Conservatives."

But couldn't you find a US made screwdriver? ;)

Not locally. I tried.

The US made stuff was aimed toward larger electrical use.

jps May 24th 09 07:06 PM

I blame Scot...

On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:38:57 -0400, D K
wrote:

jps wrote:

Harry and JPS. Two peas in a pod.
Two assholes spooning in a pod.

And you and John make such a nice couple. Dick and ****.

I buy American when possible. Our latest auto is a Honda Pilot,
which was manufactured in the US. I'm turning my BMW in this
September and considering what's next. Maybe a hybrid.

I NEVER shop at walmart, the official retailer of the RNC and
"Conservatives."

My 2001 Acura MDX, and the early Honda Pilots, were assembled in Quebec.
Evidently they moved production to the US.

Both of my current BMW's were assembled in South Carolina.

They are still foreign cars so what's your point?

Be careful when you buy that "American" hybrid - if may have come from
Mexico, or ???

OMG, more than "yes you are, no I'm not." I'm in shock.

I have an AWD 3 series made in Germany afer owning/leasing a series of
larger sedans. Got tired of the sedans, wanted something sportier.
Have had the sedans with twin turbos that are plenty fast but heavy.
The stiffer suspension and run flat tires make it bone jarring but
it's a lot closer to the road than the A6 or 5 series sedans.

I'm not convinced that US manufacturers have the hybrid down but I'm
open to it. I'd like to support a US manufacturer if I can find a
quality product.

Vic Smith May 24th 09 07:53 PM

I blame Scot...

On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:06:53 -0700, jps wrote:

I'm not convinced that US manufacturers have the hybrid down but I'm
open to it. I'd like to support a US manufacturer if I can find a
quality product.

I've never had that problem.
"Quality" means different things to different people.
Foreign-car buyers are what they are.
They'll always find something wrong with the "American" product.
Nature of the beast.
You want to divorce your wife, there's always an excuse.
She cuts the bologna too thick. That'll do.
Just my observation.
But since I never put much money in a car, and never bought
a new one, I'm sure as hell not going to tell anybody else how to
spend their money.

--Vic

jps May 24th 09 09:06 PM

I blame Scot...

On Sun, 24 May 2009 13:53:05 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:06:53 -0700, jps wrote:

I'm not convinced that US manufacturers have the hybrid down but I'm
open to it. I'd like to support a US manufacturer if I can find a
quality product.

I've never had that problem.
"Quality" means different things to different people.
Foreign-car buyers are what they are.
They'll always find something wrong with the "American" product.
Nature of the beast.
You want to divorce your wife, there's always an excuse.
She cuts the bologna too thick. That'll do.
Just my observation.
But since I never put much money in a car, and never bought
a new one, I'm sure as hell not going to tell anybody else how to
spend their money.

--Vic

Cars have always been a thing for me. First car was a '61 VW with a
blown engine. $100. Rebuilt the engine for a couple hundred more in
parts and had a car. Ended up working on cars for a living for a few
years between stints at college.

I've been through 20 cars in 35 years. I have an appreciation for
well-built vehicles and a distain for poor engineering/execution. My
weakness for badly executed vehilcles were the MGs and Austins.

Still do all our maintenance (for what's not factory covered). It's
the same bliss I feel working on a boat.

"Cruising is working on your boat in exotic locations" fits perfectly.

HK May 24th 09 09:35 PM

I blame Scot...

wrote:

[...]

I had an MGA. Lovely looking car, really. Fabulous lines. Nice to drive,
but a real p.o.s. Of course, it had a kazillion millions on it when I
bought it.

I've been looking for a new "road car," and so far, I've not found
anything that compete with some of the Japanese brands. Took a look at a
new "5" series BMW and a couple of Audis, but they didn't do much for me.

I've been watching a bit of the Indy 500 today (speaking of cars), and I
was delighted to see how far Danica Patrick has come. Next year may be
*her* year at Indy.

jim7856 May 24th 09 10:21 PM

I blame Scot...

wrote:

[...]

Lovely MGA? Really Krause

Audis AND BMW 5s. I guess it's all right to dream a bit.

Eisboch[_4_] May 24th 09 10:44 PM

I blame Scot...

"HK" wrote in message
m...

I've been looking for a new "road car," and so far, I've not found
anything that compete with some of the Japanese brands. Took a look at a
new "5" series BMW and a couple of Audis, but they didn't do much for me.

Pound for pound, buck for buck, the BMW 5 series is one of the finest
automobiles being built.
And Audi isn't bad either.

Eisboch