Gfretwell

Default Slow/idle speed under bridges?

How common is this? I know it has been the law in Pinellas County (Fla) for a
number of years but in Lee County it is a mixed bag. If you exclude the bridges
that are in congested docking areas where everything is no wake, we have 2 main
ones near me (New Pass and Big Carlos Pass). Big Carlos is idle speed under the
draw span, New Pass is "Normal Safe".
Is there any logic to this?
BTW if I read the sign correctly, anywhere else under the Big Carlos bridge is
Normal Safe too but you might get a 4 oz pyramid sinker and a few hooks in your
face
Doug Kanter

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
How common is this? I know it has been the law in Pinellas County (Fla)

for a
number of years but in Lee County it is a mixed bag. If you exclude the

bridges
that are in congested docking areas where everything is no wake, we have 2

main
ones near me (New Pass and Big Carlos Pass). Big Carlos is idle speed

under the
draw span, New Pass is "Normal Safe".
Is there any logic to this?
BTW if I read the sign correctly, anywhere else under the Big Carlos

bridge is
Normal Safe too but you might get a 4 oz pyramid sinker and a few hooks in

your
face

Slow might be a decent thing, to give fishermen time to reel their lines out
of the way, or even deal with a fish on the hook, which can be tricky from a
bridge. Who needs the law for this kind of consideration?

Gfretwell

Slow might be a decent thing, to give fishermen time to reel their lines out
of the way, or even deal with a fish on the hook,

These regulations seem to be for the draw span where fishing is prohibited.
BTW I have never seen a fisherman on a bridge give the least consideration for
a boater. You are lucky if they don't try to hit you. It reminds me of rednecks
shooting at signs on the side of the road.
You are certainly a target if you fish near a bridge from a boat.

NOYB

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Gfretwell" wrote in message
[...]

I always thought it was mandatory. Nevertheless, I always go slow...because
you never know when some yahoo on a jet ski is going to pop out around a
corner.

Gfretwell

I always thought it was mandatory. Nevertheless, I always go slow...

The sign says "idle speed" but that is a relative term when you are in a 12 kt
tide.
If you were truly "idling" you would be going about 7 knots backward.

Doug Kanter

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
I always thought it was mandatory. Nevertheless, I always go slow...

The sign says "idle speed" but that is a relative term when you are in a

12 kt
tide.
If you were truly "idling" you would be going about 7 knots backward.

That's probably why the signs say "idle speed", not "idle RPMs".

Gfretwell

That's probably why the signs say "idle speed", not "idle RPMs".

That sounds like an interesting argument, ever tried it on a cop?
I have never seen any enforcement at the Big Carlos bridge but I can imagine an
over zealous deputy trying to enforce "no wake" in a flood tide. (FMP/FWC does
seem smarter than that ... usually)
This bay is draining about 400 square miles of sheet flow through 4 passes.
When you have 17 inches of rain in a month that is a lot of water going under
the bridge. As I said, it was 12 knots the other day on my GPS. That was what
got me thinking about the sign. I was moving at ~3000 RPM, just to keep
headway.