HK HK is offline

Default Arlen Specter to switch political parties

By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent David Espo, Ap Special
Correspondent – 3 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Several officials say veteran Republican Sen. Arlen Specter
of Pennsylvania intends to switch parties, advancing his own hopes of
winning a new term next year while pushing Democrats one step closer to
a 60-vote filibuster-resistant majority.

The sources said an announcement could come later in the day — or
Wednesday. The officials who provided the information did so on
condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss his
plans.

Specter is a 79-year-old veteran of five Senate terms, and one of only a
handful of moderate Republicans left in Congress in a party made up
largely of conservatives.

- - -

Statement by Senator Arlen Specter

I have been a Republican since 1966. I have been working extremely hard
for the Party, for its candidates and for the ideals of a Republican
Party whose tent is big enough to welcome diverse points of view. While
I have been comfortable being a Republican, my Party has not defined who
I am. I have taken each issue one at a time and have exercised
independent judgment to do what I thought was best for Pennsylvania and
the nation.

Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the
Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than
200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become
Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with
Democrats than Republicans.

When I supported the stimulus package, I knew that it would not be
popular with the Republican Party. But, I saw the stimulus as necessary
to lessen the risk of a far more serious recession than we are now
experiencing.

Since then, I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and
office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public
opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a
schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the
record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged
by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate. I have not
represented the Republican Party. I have represented the people of
Pennsylvania.

I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary.

I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my
candidacy for re-election determined in a general election.

I deeply regret that I will be disappointing many friends and
supporters. I can understand their disappointment. I am also
disappointed that so many in the Party I have worked for for more than
four decades do not want me to be their candidate. It is very painful on
both sides. I thank specially Senators McConnell and Cornyn for their
forbearance.

I am not making this decision because there are no important and
interesting opportunities outside the Senate. I take on this complicated
run for re-election because I am deeply concerned about the future of
our country and I believe I have a significant contribution to make on
many of the key issues of the day, especially medical research. NIH
funding has saved or lengthened thousands of lives, including mine, and
much more needs to be done. And my seniority is very important to
continue to bring important projects vital to Pennsylvania's economy.

I am taking this action now because there are fewer than thirteen months
to the 2010 Pennsylvania Primary and there is much to be done in
preparation for that election. Upon request, I will return campaign
contributions contributed during this cycle.

While each member of the Senate caucuses with his Party, what each of us
hopes to accomplish is distinct from his party affiliation. The American
people do not care which Party solves the problems confronting our
nation. And no Senator, no matter how loyal he is to his Party, should
or would put party loyalty above his duty to the state and nation.

My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line
voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans.
Unlike Senator Jeffords' switch which changed party control, I will not
be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on
Employees Free Choice (Card Check) will not change.

Whatever my party affiliation, I will continue to be guided by President
Kennedy's statement that sometimes Party asks too much. When it does, I
will continue my independent voting and follow my conscience on what I
think is best for Pennsylvania and America.
HK HK is offline

HK wrote:

[...]

59 seats and counting...if Franken is seated, that makes a filibuster
proof Democratic majority in the Senate on many Democratic issues, and a
further decline for the crazy conservative Republicans.
jps jps is offline

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:18:56 -0400, HK wrote:

I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary.

Didn't see your post or read his statement before I posted. This is
really something. No histrionics, no Joe Lieberman double dealing.

The right is more marginalized while the country shifts left.
Senior Member

On Apr 28, 12:24*pm, HK wrote:
HK wrote:

[...]

further decline for the crazy conservative Republicans.- Hide quoted text -

As opposed to a criminal congress bought and paid for by big
corporations like GE and lazy union bitches... I guess your ideal
government is one that doesn't reach across the isle, do business in
the open, or allow free speech... America as we know it is ****ed.
Time to stock up on ammo...

On Apr 28, 12:35*pm, wrote:
On Apr 28, 12:24*pm, HK wrote:

HK wrote:

[...]

Time to stock up on ammo...- Hide quoted text -

Scotty, I've not ever heard you utter anything good about a liberal in
office. That isn't "reaching across the aisle". Obama tried very hard
to work with conservatives, and they wouldn't have anything to do with
it.

HK HK is offline

jps wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:18:56 -0400, HK wrote:

I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary.

Didn't see your post or read his statement before I posted. This is
really something. No histrionics, no Joe Lieberman double dealing.

The right is more marginalized while the country shifts left.

Indeed. There were rumors for many months that Specter might have
dropped the GOP to become an Independent, but it's the smart move for
him to move over the the Democratic column, and work with the more
conservative Democratic senators.

The guy is 79 and has been fighting cancer for a long time. It's unclear
whether he'll actually run again in 2010, but if he does, I think he
would win as a Democrat, and if he doesn't run, there will be a strong
Democratic candidate running.

And Arlen makes 59...
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Apr 28, 12:24 pm, HK wrote:
HK wrote:

[...]

What are you going to do with the ammo? If you fill out the federal form
honestly, you won't be able to buy a handgun.

Senior Member

On Apr 28, 12:53*pm, wrote:
On Apr 28, 12:35*pm, wrote:

On Apr 28, 12:24*pm, HK wrote:

HK wrote:

[...]

it.- Hide quoted text -

BTW, I liked Richardson... Could have voted for him... There, how's
that?
jps jps is offline

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:03:28 -0400, HK wrote:

wrote:

As opposed to a criminal congress bought and paid for by big
corporations like GE and lazy union bitches... I guess your ideal
government is one that doesn't reach across the isle, do business in
the open, or allow free speech... America as we know it is ****ed.
Time to stock up on ammo...

What are you going to do with the ammo? If you fill out the federal form
honestly, you won't be able to buy a handgun.

This is just the sort of imbalanced jerk that psychological tests for
gun ownership should ferret out as a threat to himself and others.
Senior Member

wrote:
As opposed to a criminal congress bought and paid for by big
corporations like GE and lazy union bitches... I guess your ideal
government is one that doesn't reach across the isle, do business in
the open, or allow free speech... America as we know it is ****ed.
Time to stock up on ammo...

What are you going to do with the ammo? If you fill out the federal form
honestly, you won't be able to buy a handgun.

This is just the sort of imbalanced jerk that psychological tests for
gun ownership *should ferret out as a threat to himself and others.

Yeah, and your balanced right? Of course I don't toe your far left
line so you don't want me to have guns, but your butt buddy Harry who
has wished harm and death on more posters here than anyone is ok
right? You have lost all credibility here (as if you ever had any) and
of course everyone knows you base your ideology on the emotional level
of a 14 year old girl.. So **** off, ok..

Non political, political post Eisboch General 27 December 22nd 07 04:07 AM
Some non political OT... Short Wave Sportfishing General 3 December 7th 04 03:57 PM
OT-Political John Cairns ASA 0 October 27th 04 10:19 PM
( OT ) Non political Jim General 3 March 30th 04 07:30 PM
( OT) Not political Jim General 0 March 9th 04 10:08 PM