posted to alt.sailing

Default Black water system upgrade

I'm looking at buying a boat that I found, but I would have to upgrade
the black water system. I can do the work, but I can't seem to find
prices so I can know what I'm getting myself into. I'm just looking for
prices for 25 gallon holding tank, a toilet, macerator, basically
everything I would need for a new black water system.

Any estimates on what the parts necessary to do this upgrade would cost?
Right now the boat has a small port-a-potty.

Thanks,

--
Ken T.
http://www.electricsenator.net

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
-- Mitch Ratliffe, Technology Review, April, 1992

posted to alt.sailing

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:34:58 -0400, mmc wrote:

www,defender.com

This site is either down or not real..

I was actually hoping to get some insight into how big a job this was.
I've found most of what I need from other sources, although it wasn't as
straightforward as one would think.

Has anyone out there installed their own black water handling system?
Was it difficult? How much labor did it take? Any gotchas that I should
keep in mind?

Thanks.

--
Ken T.
http://www.electricsenator.net

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
-- Jeremy S. Anderson
posted to alt.sailing
MMC MMC is offline

"Ken T." wrote in message
. com...
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:34:58 -0400, mmc wrote:

www,defender.com

This site is either down or not real..

I was actually hoping to get some insight into how big a job this was.
I've found most of what I need from other sources, although it wasn't as
straightforward as one would think.

Has anyone out there installed their own black water handling system?
Was it difficult? How much labor did it take? Any gotchas that I should
keep in mind?

Thanks.

--
Ken T.
http://www.electricsenator.net

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

Sorry it was supposed to be www dot defender dot com
Check them out. Much better prices than West.
I built my own, been a number of years ago, for a 41 Gulfstar. I got the
parts from Defender.
2 worst things come to mind were; fitting the 1 1/2" sanitation hose is
tough! and the design of the 3 way marelon valve I bought made it worse.
This is what I bought
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|106370|813148|316446&id=101875
and this one would have my install easier as 2 hoses come in from one side
instead of all at 120 degrees
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|106370|813148|316446&id=121038.
I installed it in the salon, under a settee just aft of the forward head,
which was tight, but I couldn't see running hose all the way back to the
engine room just to have waste sitting in all the low areas.
The sanitation hose is a real bear to get on the fittings and after trying
everything, dish soap, oil, heat gun, a friend told me about dunking the end
in a pan of HOT water and holding it there for a minute or so which worked
great.

Paint for Black and Grey water tanks Rob UK Power Boats 0 May 25th 04 12:31 PM
Fuel System Upgrade DSK General 4 February 19th 04 01:11 AM
Fresh-water flushing a raw water system? Jeffrey P. Vasquez Cruising 24 January 28th 04 12:19 AM
Black water? Bobsprit ASA 87 October 27th 03 04:09 PM