Default Yamaha F150 break-in

I am about to purchase a Hydra-Sports 202DC with a Yamaha F150 4
stroke.
I have read the beak-in procedure.
1hr at 2000 rpm , 1hr at 3000 and the next 8 hrs no full throttle for
more than 5 mins.

My question is; When pre-purchase water testing, how much or little
damage is sustained while the sales guy or I run a new motor at full
throttle for a few minutes to see full speed and other handling
characteristics of the boat

On Mar 12, 4:04*pm, HK wrote:
wrote:
I am about to purchase a Hydra-Sports 202DC with *a Yamaha F150 4
stroke.
I have read the beak-in procedure.
1hr at 2000 rpm , 1hr at 3000 and the next 8 hrs no full throttle for
more than 5 mins.

My question is; When pre-purchase water testing, how much or little
damage is sustained while the sales guy or I run a new motor at full
throttle for a few minutes to see full speed and other handling
characteristics of the boat

I suggest you follow the directions to the letter.

Thanks for the reply but it doesn't address my question.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:47:58 -0400, DK wrote:

wrote:
I am about to purchase a Hydra-Sports 202DC with a Yamaha F150 4
stroke.
I have read the beak-in procedure.
1hr at 2000 rpm , 1hr at 3000 and the next 8 hrs no full throttle for
more than 5 mins.

My question is; When pre-purchase water testing, how much or little
damage is sustained while the sales guy or I run a new motor at full
throttle for a few minutes to see full speed and other handling
characteristics of the boat

None. A few short WOT runs are in order to make sure the motor was
mounted at the right height and the correct prop was installed.

When you reference 2000 and 3000 rpms, you are talking about the max,
right? You should vary your speed during the break in process.

I didn't know for sure I had the wrong prop on my new engine until
about 10 hours because I wasn't willing to firewall it.
That is why I still have a virtually new 14 7/8 x 15 SS Michigan Match
hubbed for a merc
Anyone want to make me an offer ;-)

I agree you should avoid WOT until it has ruin a while and everything
is seated well. The reality is, if it seems OK it probably is but I
wouldn't do that speed test on purpose for several hours.
.
I am at 2550 or so on the clock and I bet I don't have 60 minutes of
WOT in all of that time. I like 4000-4500 if I am going somewhere. It
just sounds better to me and only takes a few MPH off of my speed, at
a significant fuel saving..

Yamaha publishes performance bulletins for Hydra-Sports. The boat in
question will touch 40 mph at WOT with a 15-1/4 x 15 aluminum prop at
5850 rpm. I have a similar prop (in stainless) on a boat about the same
size and weight, and I can pull 6000 rpms and get a few hairs over 40
mph with the same engine, full fuel, and a few guys and gear aboard.
The Hydra-Sports boat is heavy for its length, just like my Parker. No
lightweight crapola used here. My Parker is a bit heavier, actually.

Therefore, approximately 40 mph will be the WOT full speed with this
boat, motor and prop. The Yamaha performance bulletins are accurate.

I'm sure the Hydra-Sports boat handles well. The manufacturer has been
making the model for some years.

I would not run the boat at WOT outside of the stipulations of the
break-in procedures.

Thanks for the responses.
Forgot about the computer. duh

It does seem wise to be judicious with WOT.
Water test not till 3/21.

I'm gonna by it unless it sinks or doesn't work at the splash.

It's a leftover 2008 model and is priced right.

On Mar 12, 5:28*pm, wrote:
On Mar 12, 4:04*pm, HK wrote:

wrote:
I am about to purchase a Hydra-Sports 202DC with *a Yamaha F150 4
stroke.
I have read the beak-in procedure.
1hr at 2000 rpm , 1hr at 3000 and the next 8 hrs no full throttle for
more than 5 mins.

My question is; When pre-purchase water testing, how much or little
damage is sustained while the sales guy or I run a new motor at full
throttle for a few minutes to see full speed and other handling
characteristics of the boat

I suggest you follow the directions to the letter.

Thanks for the reply but it doesn't address my question.

Of course not, you've just met Harry. Vague at best because he doesn't
know anything, but wants people to think he knows everything! You do
realize that Harry claims to have a degree in Mechanical Engineering,
don't you? But, he also claims to have a degree from Yale, claims his
wife has two doctor degrees, his father once took a runabout across
the Atlantic in winter and got a fireboat welcome on his return to
NYC, he claims to have owned many, many boats, rounded the horn single
handed, sailed from SF to Hawaii, and on and on......

On Mar 13, 11:25*am, wrote:
On Mar 12, 5:28*pm, wrote:

On Mar 12, 4:04*pm, HK wrote:

wrote:
[...]

handed, sailed from SF to Hawaii, and on and on......- Hide quoted text -

No, I didn't just meet Harry. I have never met him, but I have been
lurking here for 10 yrs, posting once or twice a year, while you guys
talk about everything but boats.
I first posted when I bought a new 1999 Luhrs Tournament 320 and Harry
was the first to respond.
Sold that boat 5 years ago and have been using my sisters 33ft
cruiser.
Time for a small boat to play with the grandkids.
This is hardly my first boat or outboard but it is my first 4 stroke.

2008 Yamaha F150 - How long should it take... John[_6_] General 97 December 23rd 08 01:03 AM
Take a break Eisboch General 6 October 19th 08 12:20 AM
Questions about the Yamaha F150 4 Stroke Outboard Joe General 5 November 8th 04 09:53 PM
Adding oil during break in? Matt Lang General 7 July 24th 04 07:37 AM
Break-Down Bob! Capt. Mooron ASA 11 January 28th 04 01:42 PM