Joe

Default Questions about the Yamaha F150 4 Stroke Outboard

Long time I/O owner here who just bought a new boat which has a 2005
model year Yamaha 4 Stroke, 15OHP Outboard with a few questions.

I am looking into adding gauages that I miss from my I/O boat

1) What is the purpose of this "Water Pressure" gauge that I see on
Yamaha's website?

2) How come I can not find a guage for this outboard that shows me
the engine temperature like my car motor based I/O had?
That sure saved my engine several times when it overheated

3) How come I can not find an Oil Pressure guage either?

4) I am told by the dealer that this engine will sound an alarrm if it
starts to overheat. I guess the alarm is in the engine so is it loud
enough to hear when underway?
This 4 stroke OB is really quiet but at 4500 RPM, it is not exactly
whispering.

Winterizing/Freezing:

Background:

I have a winterizing 'contraption' for my I/O that holds 5 gallons of
anitfreeze. You hook a garden hose to it as well as the ear muffs over
the water inlet on the lower unit. Run the engine till it is warm with
the water running till the thermostat is open and then you twist the
valve on the thing so the engine draws antifreeze from it.
Once about 4 gallons have gone through the engine and you can see the
exhaust water change color to antifreeze color,the block is full of
antifreeze and you turn the boat off for the season.
That is for my car motor based I/O that once done, you are commited
for the season.

I bought this boat with an outbaord (for one reason) because I was
told that there is no need to do the above and if we get one of those
50 degree day here in maryland that I could use the boat and not have

the hassle of re-winterizing it.

Questions:

A) I was told by the dealer that all I had to do for the winter to be
sure that all the water is out of the Outbaord is to make sure that
the engine is in the down position when the boat is sitting on the
trailer in my back yard. TRUE?

A) Is it true that I do not have to run antifreeze through the motor
on this Outboard to winterize it like I described above for the I/O
boat?

B) When the boat is in the water at my dock (I do not have a boat
lift) , does all the water flow out of the motor when you tilt the
Outboard all the way up such that I do not have to worry about
anything freezing?
I ask this because if we do get a reasonably warm weekend in the
winter (very common in this state) I would like to leave the boat in
the water for the weekend and am worried about freezing since at
night, the air still would be below freezing

Thanks for any answer to my questions.

Joe
tony thomas

1. Water pressure will tell you if you are picking up water and if the
engine is cooling. Similar to a water temp/head temp guage. Normally found
on outboards.
2. Engine temp guage is usually available but water pressure guage serves
the same purpose for the most part. Plus the engine horn (located at the
drivers station) will go off if engine overheats.
3. Oil pressure guage - not sure if available. Would be a good idea for the
4 stroke but have never seen one.
4. Alarm is at drivers station. You will hear it.

A. Winterize. The outboard does not trap water in the block once the
engine is lowered. Any antifreeze you put in would come right back out. No
need to do it.
B. If you raise the engine - it will trap water in the gearcase. Engine
would drain if you wait for about a minute before you raise it. Leave the
engine down. The river will not freeze and the water in the lower unit will
be at river temp and will not freeze. This is what people around here do
that leave their boat in the water year round. As I said, raising it will
trap water in the gearcase/prop housing and will freeze.

-
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Joe

Thanks a lot for those very concise answers.

Regarding #1 though - that is not very useful as 1) I can already
simply look behind me and see a stream of water coming out from a high
spot on the motor which the manual says is the indicator that the
motor is getting water and 2) I have NO idea when the engine is warmed
up enough to hammer it like I did on my I/O. Just like my car or the
previous I/O , I don't like to accelerate hard until it is warmed up

Joe

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:02:53 GMT, "tony thomas"
wrote:

[...]

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Joe

I forgot to ask. Is there a moderated forum for discussion's like we
just had?
I stick with moderated forums' for my various hobbies and interests.

I stopped using Usenet a long time ago and I see it has not changed.

This group is the typical Usenet group where it is full of completely
OT bull****.

Thanks,

wrote:

[...]

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Gould 0738

I forgot to ask. Is there a moderated forum for discussion's like we
just had?
I stick with moderated forums' for my various hobbies and interests.

I stopped using Usenet a long time ago and I see it has not changed.

IOW, "now that I've got the information that I came here for, I'd like to thank
the group by observing you're a bunch of a-holes and your group really sucks
compared to a moderated format."

Go a moderated group, please.

Mercury 1, Yamaha 0 Gould 0738 General 8 October 21st 04 03:35 AM
Yamaha Outboard Timing help Chris Selwyn-Smith General 4 September 20th 03 01:54 AM
Help with yamaha outboard zorinuk UK Power Boats 0 August 27th 03 10:31 AM
Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 Terry McMahon Cruising 1 August 9th 03 02:13 AM
Yamaha Outboard questions Jonathan Ganz ASA 1 June 29th 03 02:20 PM