Matt Lang

Default Adding oil during break in?

Guys,

Would it be a smart idea to add oil to the gas when breaking in a Merc
Optimax (200 HP SportJet)?

Merc' manual says NOT to add oil during break in. Is this because of
environmental laws and such or would it do any harm to the optimax
system?

I would say running a little more oil during break in cant hurt? Is it
recommended to add oil? If so how much should be added? For how many
hours should oil be added?

The manual indicates the break in period is over after 4 hours .. that
seems awfully short ... whats the deal here? What is recommended to
do?

Does anybody have knowledge for that?

Matt
Harry Krause

Matt Lang wrote:

Guys,

Would it be a smart idea to add oil to the gas when breaking in a Merc
Optimax (200 HP SportJet)?

Merc' manual says NOT to add oil during break in. Is this because of
environmental laws and such or would it do any harm to the optimax
system?

I would say running a little more oil during break in cant hurt? Is it
recommended to add oil? If so how much should be added? For how many
hours should oil be added?

The manual indicates the break in period is over after 4 hours .. that
seems awfully short ... whats the deal here? What is recommended to
do?

Does anybody have knowledge for that?

Matt

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations. And didn't your dealership
introduce you to the shop foreman? Everytime I bought a new Merc, the
sales manager took me back to the shop to either introduce me or
re-introduce me to the service writers and lead mechanics. Most of these
guys know their stuff and can help with solid advice.
Ken

Adding oil to the gas in a direct injected engine is useless. With the carb
or EFI design the gas/oil mixture passes through the crankcase where the oil
contacts and coats the rod bearings, crank bearings, etc. - the stuff gets a
chance to do its job. In an Opti, the mixture only gets injected on top side
of the cylinder and then almost immediately gets ignited. All you are doing
is burning oil and possibly fouling spark plugs.

When I worked a Travis Boating the sales people would tell customers to mix
oil in the gas on Opti (took an act of congress to educate that group).
Other than fouled plugs I never did see any damage caused by the extra oil.
It just did absolutely nothing for the engine.

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...
Guys,

Would it be a smart idea to add oil to the gas when breaking in a Merc
Optimax (200 HP SportJet)?

Merc' manual says NOT to add oil during break in. Is this because of
environmental laws and such or would it do any harm to the optimax
system?

I would say running a little more oil during break in cant hurt? Is it
recommended to add oil? If so how much should be added? For how many
hours should oil be added?

The manual indicates the break in period is over after 4 hours .. that
seems awfully short ... whats the deal here? What is recommended to
do?

Does anybody have knowledge for that?

Matt

Matt Lang

Ken, good point! in this case it wouldnt do any good

I looked at the merc service manual about the optis... it showed the
oil schematics.

It has a pump that pumps oil to the crankbushings and I believe
cylinder walls.

Do you knwo if it recycles excess oil from there into the tank? or
does it get sucked in in the cylinders and burned?

Matt

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...
Guys,

Would it be a smart idea to add oil to the gas when breaking in a Merc
Optimax (200 HP SportJet)?

Merc' manual says NOT to add oil during break in. Is this because of
environmental laws and such or would it do any harm to the optimax
system?

I would say running a little more oil during break in cant hurt? Is it
recommended to add oil? If so how much should be added? For how many
hours should oil be added?

The manual indicates the break in period is over after 4 hours .. that
seems awfully short ... whats the deal here? What is recommended to
do?

Does anybody have knowledge for that?

Matt

Ken

The oil pump injects oil into the incoming air stream (air enters the engine
where the carbs use to be) and then (theoretically) the oil falls out of the
air when it contacts metal in the crankcase. If I remember right, some of
that crankcase oil does get recycled to the air pump to oil the bearings
there but yes, oil is eventually pulled into the cylinders and burned. With
direct injection the amount is a lot less than with carbs or with EFI. The
main reason for the reduction is that with direct injection you are no
longer washing the oil off the bearing surfaces with incoming gasoline and
therefore the engine need a lot less oil to do the same job.

om...