john m.

Default Four Winns repower, can't break plane..

My frend repowered a Four Wins boat, from a 180 motor to a 120 motor.
When he took the boat out he can't break plane with it. When he tries
to go full speed the bow kicks up and the stern drops down. He tried
different trims on the outdrive but still no luck. Even with the
outdrive all the way down so that the impeller points a couple of
degrees towards the bottom, the boats acts the same way. Is there not
enough power in the 120 to do the job?? I own a sailboat so I don't
know much about powerboats. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Jodon2

Why power down?
NOYB

"john m." wrote in message
m...
My frend repowered a Four Wins boat, from a 180 motor to a 120 motor.
When he took the boat out he can't break plane with it. When he tries
to go full speed the bow kicks up and the stern drops down. He tried
different trims on the outdrive but still no luck. Even with the
outdrive all the way down so that the impeller points a couple of
degrees towards the bottom, the boats acts the same way. Is there not
enough power in the 120 to do the job?? I own a sailboat so I don't
know much about powerboats. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

What size boat? If it's over 16', I think 120hp is too little.

Tony Thomas

My guess is he is trying to use the same prop. He will need to drop down
about 4" of pitch.
Not sure why you would go w/ less power. Depending on the size of the
boat - this could be a real problem.
However, my guess is the prop is just too big.
He needs to prop for wide open rpms at about 4700 assuming it is a new Merc
engine.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"john m." wrote in message
m...
My frend repowered a Four Wins boat, from a 180 motor to a 120 motor.
When he took the boat out he can't break plane with it. When he tries
to go full speed the bow kicks up and the stern drops down. He tried
different trims on the outdrive but still no luck. Even with the
outdrive all the way down so that the impeller points a couple of
degrees towards the bottom, the boats acts the same way. Is there not
enough power in the 120 to do the job?? I own a sailboat so I don't
know much about powerboats. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gould 0738

I met a guy with a similar problem

He had a Four Plane repower, and couldn't break Winnd

RichG

He may get away with adding tabs of some sort. Try Smart Tabs (manual
self-adjusting tabs); Bennet hydraulics or Lenco electrics. RichG

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Four Winns Freedom 170 Mike General 6 February 27th 04 05:17 PM
takes forever to plane Capt. Frank Hopkins General 0 August 21st 03 03:05 AM
1993 Four Winns...Used boat question(s)... alincoln General 1 August 8th 03 04:40 PM
FS: Four Winns Boat (Reduced) Arn Cota General 0 July 27th 03 12:53 PM
Boat looses plane? ReevesJ32 General 4 July 11th 03 12:29 AM