Default Small business health insurance

My thoughts on the concept of health insurance:
I really do not think the health probs of my employees is my business
except I want them to get work done. I got no problem if thye get
sick and take weeks off as long as they make it up or work at night or
weekends or any other time. There are timetables for stuff that have
to be met though.
I do offer to pay the premium on an 80/20 policy ($1000 deductible)
from IEEE but only one guy takes me up on that, the rest get their
insurance through spouses.
Frankly, I do not think their health insurance is my business at all
because I cannot get a policy that will meet the needs of every
employee. They are more likely to get a policy that meets their needs
on their own, I also cannot get any better rate for them than they
can get themselves. Consequently, having me buy a standard policy for
them simply adds cost and gives them a policy that is less beneficial
than they could get for less on their own.

On Feb 4, 2:54 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:38:26 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch

wrote:
[...]

So, reimburse them, dickhead.

Reimburse who? The people who do not buy their own health insurance?
I see no reason to do that.The guy who does buy his own policy I do
reimburse.

wrote:
[...]

reimburse.- Hide quoted text -

Frog, salty isn't actually trying to provide a solution to a problem.
He's just here to try and take Harry and slammer's trophies away for
the person who can post the most vulgar low life posts complete with
childish name calling.

Oh shut up, you mindless ****.

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

I offer two plans through Aetna. The standard plan that most people
have and a "catastrophic" plan that has a $10,000 deductible. Only two
are on Plan B. The rest opt for the standard plan. I pay 50% of their
premium in either case. 100% dental, LTD, and a $15K life insurance
policy. Not bad for a small company.

Premiums will be up nearly 15% this year.

jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

There is no way an individual policy could provide the coverage at the
same cost as a group policy, no matter the number of employees.

I've been tracking this for close to 20 years and have to deal with it
at the end of each year.

Your approach to your employees is short-sighted, akin to oxen tilling
your fields. You must have easily replaceable employees who you don't
care about personally.

Not a surprise given your political views.
jps jps is offline

wrote:
[...]

Hey, if the employee is on his wife's policy, it's an easy way to pick
up savings and burden someone else's business. God forbid the wife
loses her job or the company makes her pay for her spouse and kids.
Froggie will find a new employee without health problems or one with a
sugar mama who comes with insurance.

Not giving a crap about your employees health isn't scummy like
failing to pay taxes or blow jobs.

"D K" wrote in message
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

I haven't stayed current with the insurance programs here in MA, but when I
was active in the company we couldn't have split plans. As a small business,
we couldn't have a major medical (catastrophic) plan *and* a HMO type plan.
In fact, we couldn't have more than one health insurance provider. MA law
allowed the insurance companies to require 100% employee participation in a
single plan, (Harvard, Tuffs, Blue Cross, etc.) and the only exception was
for employees that were covered by their spouses plan.

This was (and maybe still is) a significant problem for a small business,
and often made the health insurance provider a major consideration for a
potential new employee, rather than the job responsibilities, pay and
benefits. Their current family doctor may not have been a participant in
the particular program the company was enrolled in and therefore would have
to change doctors in order to accept employment. This is my biggest beef
with having a business also being a health care administrator.

My other beef is the demise of major medical, catastrophic coverage. I
don't think it is available in MA unless the company is large enough to
self-insure. The popularity of HMOs and PTOs whereby a small co-pay is all
that is required for a doctor office visit is a contributing cause of the
health care crisis we have and the blame for that is squarely on us, the
consumer. We want cheap, and we got expensive. It would be far better to
have insurance for a major illness or injury and have to pay for a doctor's
visit to confirm that little Johnny indeed, has a cold.

I've written about this before. My company paid 75% of each employee's
health insurance premium under a Blue Cross HMO plan. At one point I did
an analysis that indicated it would be less expensive to pay 100% of the
cost for a Major Medical type plan, then reimburse every employee for their
non-emergency, regular doctor visits for them and their kids for check-ups
and colds. Of course, this was not allowed.

Eisboch

"jps" wrote in message

Hey, if the employee is on his wife's policy, it's an easy way to pick
up savings and burden someone else's business. God forbid the wife
loses her job or the company makes her pay for her spouse and kids.
Froggie will find a new employee without health problems or one with a
sugar mama who comes with insurance.

Not giving a crap about your employees health isn't scummy like
failing to pay taxes or blow jobs.

Business (other than health insurance companies) should not be in the
health insurance business, either as a provider or an administrator of a
group plan. Period. They are forced to be under the current system in
order to be competitive in terms of benefits. I designed and built thin
film vacuum deposition systems for optics. What do I know about current
health insurance programs, or what is best for individuals and their
families? Very little, yet I was forced to choose and employ people just to
administer the program. I think people should be able to choose their own
plan and coverage, depending on their individual needs. The cost of
premiums for individual plans should be part of the employee's compensation
package.

Eisboch