Default This can't be happening!

Because some of the people here say that because they are experiencing
local short term cold weather, that global warming isn't happening!!!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/enviro...50I4G520090119

wrote:
Because some of the people here say that because they are experiencing
local short term cold weather, that global warming isn't happening!!!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/enviro...50I4G520090119

At one time all of the continents comprised a single land mass.

Not too long ago, in geological time, the northern hemisphere was
covered in ice.

One hundred and fifty million years ago when the Dinosaurs roamed the
Earth the global temperature was a few degrees warmer.

Southeast of the big island of Hawaii there is an new island forming?
This has been occurring for several thousand years. And, this same hot
spot is believe to have created the entire 2500 mile long chain of
Hawaiian Islands.

Why are we expected to believe that the Earth should be constant and
never changing?

"BAR" wrote in message

At one time all of the continents comprised a single land mass.

"Pangea" (or Pangaea), the name of two of our former boats.

Many geologists claim that someday the continents will again drift back
together again and the name given to this future super continents is
"Pangaea Ultima".

Eisboch

On Jan 22, 10:31*am, BAR wrote:
wrote:
Because some of the people here say that because they are experiencing
local short term cold weather, that global warming isn't happening!!!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/enviro...50I4G520090119

At one time all of the continents comprised a single land mass.

Not too long ago, in geological time, the northern hemisphere was
covered in ice.

One hundred and fifty million years ago when the Dinosaurs roamed the
Earth the global temperature was a few degrees warmer.

Southeast of the big island of Hawaii there is an new island forming?
This has been occurring for several thousand years. And, this same hot
spot is believe to have created the entire 2500 mile long chain of
Hawaiian Islands.

Why are we expected to believe that the Earth should be constant and
never changing?

I never said you were. I can't for the life of me figure out why
people refuse to listen to good science. Really, it just simply amazes
me that people think to hell with science, it's not good for profit.
Senior Member

On Jan 22, 10:50*am, wrote:
On Jan 22, 10:31*am, BAR wrote:

wrote:
[...]

me that people think to hell with science, it's not good for profit.- Hide quoted text -

I just heard a scientist on TV that showed charts showing no real
increase in Global Temsp in the last 12 years. Do you just dismiss him
because he doesn't suit your opinion? Or is he just not a scientist? I
think the problem most non-subscribers have is the idea that the
"concensus is overwhelming" when it clearly is not, and the
subscribers will to dismiss anybody who has an opposing opinion
reguardless of the information they bring to the table. The
subscribers don't even allow open debate. And in many cases such as Al
Gore, are making hundreds of millions personally off of their
opinions...

Eisboch wrote:

"BAR" wrote in message

At one time all of the continents comprised a single land mass.

"Pangea" (or Pangaea), the name of two of our former boats.

Many geologists claim that someday the continents will again drift back
together again and the name given to this future super continents is
"Pangaea Ultima".

I hadn't heard that. What are we doing to stop this future merging of
the continents?

wrote:
On Jan 22, 10:31 am, BAR wrote:
wrote:
[...]

It is not good science, it is junk science. When the "model" has a bunch
of if/then statements in it to ensure that desired results are obtained.

Is science static or dynamic?

On Jan 22, 10:58*am, wrote:
On Jan 22, 10:50*am, wrote:

On Jan 22, 10:31*am, BAR wrote:

wrote:
[...]

opinions...- Hide quoted text -

Who was this scientist?
I don't dismiss anything. I take all data into consideration. Did you
read the article in it's entirety? Did you take THAT into
consideration, or was your mind already made up?

On Jan 22, 12:59 pm, wrote:
On Jan 22, 10:58 am, wrote:

On Jan 22, 10:50 am, wrote:

On Jan 22, 10:31 am, BAR wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Yes, some warming took place in the late 20th centurybut most of it
was before any significant increase in CO2. The disagreement is over
the cause of the warming.
Al Gore is not a scientist and neither are most backers of the human
caused global warming religion.
The reality is that there is very poor corellation between the warming
and CO2 levels. There is a very strong corellation between sunspot
count and observed warming and with warming derived from actual temp
measurements in previous years AND between sunspot proxies and climate
over many previous millenia.
Here is an experiment you can do yourself. Google "sunspot count".
Compare the sunspot count to the measured or calculated temp change
since 1880, amazing isnt it.
We had a cool winter last year, many record low temps all over the
globe in 2008 and now a nearly record low for winter temps in 2009.
Guess what, it is also the lowest sunspot count since the late 1800s.

How can a small change in the sun make a large change in earths temp?
The power output of any warm body goes as temperature to the FOURTH
POWER. This means that a small change in the suns temp makes a large
change in the amoutn of sunlight reaching earth.

You can actually get some idea of how much change there should be
since 1880 yourself. There have been several satellites that have
measured the "Total Solar Irradiance" above the atmosphere since the
mid 70s. Use this data to calculate a linear change of temp vs
sunspot number by using data taken at solar max and min. Use that
linear slope to then calculate the amount of temp change you should
get between 1880 and 1990 and you will find that you can directly
explain an increase of about 30-50% of the observed .7 degree warming.
What gives the remaining warming? What you now need is called
"Spectral Irradiance Change" (google it) and you will see that in the
spectrum where the atmosphere is opaque, there was not much change.
In the visible and near Uv where the atmosphere is transparent, there
was major change. This light reached earth warmed it and was re-
radiated as infrared that warmed the atmosphere. This huge spectral
irradiance change caused most of the increased temp.
Then we have water vapor, a much more potent greenhouse gas than CO2
because it more easily diffuses upward cuz it weighs only 18 amu vs 46
for CO2. We all know that warm air holds more humidity than cool air
so a small increase in air temp causes a feedback increasing the H2O
content causing the air to warm more etc.
Essentially, ALL of the observed warming can be explained by increased
solar activity. Likewise, the recent cool temps can be explained due
to recent lower solar activity. So, why are the glaciers continuing
to melt? It's due to the huge heat content of the oceans, thermal
inertia. The oceans warmed for years in the late 20th century and
will take a while to cool now.

"BAR" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:

"BAR" wrote in message

At one time all of the continents comprised a single land mass.

"Pangea" (or Pangaea), the name of two of our former boats.

Many geologists claim that someday the continents will again drift back
together again and the name given to this future super continents is
"Pangaea Ultima".

I hadn't heard that. What are we doing to stop this future merging of the
continents?

With all the crap going on in the world and countries like North Korea and
Iran getting nuclear weapons, I don't think we have to worry about stopping
it.

But, if we happen to make it, we'll blame it on Bush.

Eisboch

It's happening! Mike[_9_] ASA 1 July 12th 08 02:38 AM
Happening soon in the USA? Stanley Barthfarkle General 4 November 8th 04 09:33 PM
What's happening in Ft Myers FL ? Steve Cruising 10 April 17th 04 03:41 AM