Default Digital Converter Boxes

On Jan 7, 6:37*pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
On Jan 7, 6:28 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

That is what I was reffering to before.. The cable companies using the
term "Digital Service" to sell high priced packages when in fact, most
of the "basic" cable channels are delivered to the TV in digital form
anyway...

hmmm. *Not to be argumentative, but no.
If the basic channels are "delivered" to an analog TV in digital format, you
couldn't watch it.
It has to be converted back to analog. *That can happen in the cable box (if
you are using one) or at the local cable company feed (if your analog TV is
connected to the wall cable). *The cable company gets all of *it's* *feed in
digital format (mostly via satellite) but sends it out to your house in
digital AND analog.

Again, if you have a non-digital TV and have it connected to cable *without*
a box and you can see a program ..... it's coming over the cable in analog.

Which brings us back to Doe.

Eisboch

OK, I think I get it now.. and you don't have to apologize or be
argumentative. I don't mind being wrong, especially when "right" gets
explained without insults

Well, since Eisboch didn't insult you, do you mind if I step in and
throw around a few? *- Hide quoted text -

Sure, but be gentle, I am quite sensitive you know.

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 18:28:13 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Which brings us back to Doe.

John? Jane?

A deer - a female deer?

Oh - wait - I get it.

Solfège syllable using pedagogical solmization only this time applied
to digital vs analog television signals.

Clever you are thinks I.
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:
On Jan 7, 6:05 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:48:39 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

That's what I thought. I was mistaken thinking all cable output was
digital, Harry was too busy forcing a laugh to really read the thread
Not so fast. It probably is "digitized," even the "analog stuff.
And you might be right on some other scores too.
Here's a few "factoids."
I have Comcast cable TV north of Chicago. Standard cable TV package..
All older analog TV's
No cable boxes.
Now, I get pic and sound breakups, frozen pics and sound, etc.
It's obviously digital farting, as this stuff NEVER happened prior to
2 years ago. Looks like typical processor or hard drive bound
interruption of digital data flow. Not the fuzziness or loss of
picture you get with a bad analog signal.
Now, Eisboch lost Comcast MSNBC to "digital"
I still have Comcast MSNBC - remember, I'm all "analog."
Loogy lost Comcast History Channel to "digital."
I still have History Channel.
I lost 4-6 other channels to the "digital" package, including
C-Span-2, and Hallmark and Oxygen. Losing Hallmark and some other
"chick" channel has my wife hating Comcast with a passion and pushing
me change to sat whenever she thinks about.
Eisboch says he needs a box to see Comcast digital TV programming even
with a digital TV.
When I talked to Comcast last week to step up to the digital package
I was told that if I had digital TV's I wouldn't need the Comcast
boxes. Just plug the cable right into the TV.
It's fishy.
But we'll clear the air eventually.
In the meantime, got a size 7 1/4 tin-foil hat I can borrow?
Vic, I am very confident that the digitized "breakup" that you see on your
analog TV is happening somewhere else in the system, probably one of the
Satellite links. The video image of the breakup is simply modulated on the
analog cable carrier.
Your analog TV (by itself) cannot process a digital signal. Period..

Right, and somehow I screwed my reply up, dropping down in the thread.
I was intending to address the dismissal of justwait's comment:

""Digital" is a misnomer really. Before congress sold out to China to
force everyone to buy new TV's (Y2K hoax all over again), cable
companies used the word "digital" to make pay channels sound better..
In fact, all cable signals are "Digital". But to the cable companies
"digital" was a way of sorting out the good channels so they could
make them "premium" which is what they really should have called
them.. Of course that would have come off just as phony as their claim
that "Sattelite" providers are resold, have you ever gone by a "cable"
office and seen all the sattelite dishes in front"

Though I'm using analog signals, it's my impression they are
digitized and reconverted before they get to me.
That's where I think justwait is right in saying "all cable signals
are digital." But it's be more accurate to say "all cable signals
were at one time digital."
But as usual, I may be wrong.
My comments about your MSNBC and mine, and Loogy's History channel
and mine may point to that, or may have something to do with regional
processing of data.
Anyway, what's most interesting to me is you saying that you must have
a Comcast box with a digital TV to pick up the "digital" package, when
I was told by Comcast that I could plug directly into a digital TV.

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

That is what I was reffering to before.. The cable companies using the
term "Digital Service" to sell high priced packages when in fact, most
of the "basic" cable channels are delivered to the TV in digital form
anyway...

I thought the cable companies were pimping High Definition which is
digital. They also supply analog signals and convert some digital to
analog. Some programing is created in high definition and down converted
to analog and digital. satellite is all digital and partial High
Definition. After February cable and satellite will still service analog
TVs. Will the conversion be done in the set top boxes or transmitted
analog on cable. You can watch Hi Def programming on non Hi def sets but
it won't be as good. 1080I is high def and everything else is not. Right
now broadcasters are using 480, 720 and 1080 formats intermixed. That is
why the picture size keeps changing. This whole thing is a convoluted
mess at the moment. OTA digital looks spectacular compared to analog. We
don't watch enough TV to justify satellite so I canceled and saved about
$70 per month.

On Jan 7, 6:28 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

You old so and so. You are the poorest excuse for a so and so I have
ever seen.

I hope I didn't cross the line.
Senior Member

On Jan 7, 7:39*pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
On Jan 7, 6:28 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I hope I didn't cross the line.- Hide quoted text -

sniff uh, I'll get over it.... Waaaaaaaaaaaaah.. ooops, I mean.
I'm cool... sniff..

Default OT Digital Converter Boxes

On Jan 7, 1:14*pm, wrote:
On Jan 7, 1:09*pm, wrote:

On Jan 7, 11:21*am, wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 05:38:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:
It'll work. The only thing that the going digital thing will affect is
if you use an antenna. What I'm ****ed about is that now the History
Channel has went to digital format, the only way you can get it is
with the Comcast box. Only have one on the main TV, all the other TV's
are just wired directly to cable.

I really believe soon we will be getting content like "history" and
"discovery" directly from the internet with the cable company only
providing bandwidth. If guys like the Mythbusters could get us to pay
a dime an episode for the download they would make more money than
they do through the network and cable company distribution with very
little cost to them.

That's true. I'm having a little trouble understanding the thing with
the History channel. They went digital, so I get no signal unless it
goes through Comcast's box. Any other TV doesn't get it. BUT, when all
cable goes digital, it's not supposed to affect the cable ready TV's.
What's up with that?

Hey loogy for brains, is there a reason we can't have an OT in front
of this? *You somehow think it's boating related?- Hide quoted text -

Hey, jam for brains, I didn't start the friggin' thread, get it? Maybe
in your haste to be an ass, you should at least know what's going on
first.