Fat Bass

Default Battery Boxes...

I have 2 group 29 batteries that I'd like to conceal in 1 battery box. The
boat is a 16' center console, and i'd be placing thes behind the
coole/cockpit seat. I havnt had any luck locating one thats already made.
What would be the best/cheapest way to make one?

Brian D

We've just built them out of plywood in the past. If you want to make it
pretty, cut and router handholds in the ends, router all corners, epoxy the
whole thing, then paint. The key with a battery box is to contain liquid
spillage from the batteries while allowing venting (loose top) in an upwards
direction so hydrogen gas can escape. Another goal is to provide a stable
platform that'll keep the batteries from falling over or moving at sea.
Ideally, the box or boat will provide the means to fasten or strap it to the
boat and the batteries inside the box should have straps that hold them to
the bottom of the box. Either way, it's a fun little project that anyone
can do. I just made a VERY simply plywood box that I glued together with
epoxy, sanded with a random orbital, then just painted with acrylic latex
primer and paint on the outside. I didn't bother coating with epoxy, but
the glued joints will make it contain spillage well enough. It probably
won't last forever, but this one only lands in a boat if we're using our
skiff for fishing and bring the electric motor with us.

Brian

--
- Remove the uppercase NS' characters from my email address