Default Digital Converter Boxes

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 13:52:06 -0500, hk wrote:

wrote:
On Jan 7, 1:27 pm, hk wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 7, 1:09 pm, wrote:
On Jan 7, 11:21 am, wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 05:38:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:
It'll work. The only thing that the going digital thing will affect is
if you use an antenna. What I'm ****ed about is that now the History
Channel has went to digital format, the only way you can get it is
with the Comcast box. Only have one on the main TV, all the other TV's
are just wired directly to cable.
I really believe soon we will be getting content like "history" and
"discovery" directly from the internet with the cable company only
providing bandwidth. If guys like the Mythbusters could get us to pay
a dime an episode for the download they would make more money than
they do through the network and cable company distribution with very
little cost to them.
That's true. I'm having a little trouble understanding the thing with
the History channel. They went digital, so I get no signal unless it
goes through Comcast's box. Any other TV doesn't get it. BUT, when all
cable goes digital, it's not supposed to affect the cable ready TV's.
What's up with that?
"Digital" is a misnomer really. Before congress sold out to China to
force everyone to buy new TV's (Y2K hoax all over again), cable
companies used the word "digital" to make pay channels sound better..
In fact, all cable signals are "Digital". But to the cable companies
"digital" was a way of sorting out the good channels so they could
make them "premium" which is what they really should have called
them.. Of course that would have come off just as phony as their claim
that "Sattelite" providers are resold, have you ever gone by a "cable"
office and seen all the sattelite dishes in front
Once again, you demonstrate you simply do not understand anything. Stick
to sandpaper, or something else that doesn't require thinking.- Hide quoted text -

Well, once again you say you are informed, but offer zero information
to back your claim.. I mean, it's obvious that you have plenty of time
to correct me (cut and paste from google), but you really have nothing
to offer... Stick to insults, it's all you have...

Tell you the truth, I find it far more fun and more interesting, too, to
watch you and several others wallow in your ignorance and stupidity.

Here's a hint: "digital" in cable tv usage has a lot to do with numbers
like 480, 720, and higher, and very little to do with beaming signals
down from satellites.

Um...no?

Here - this may help.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question7.htm

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 05:43:53 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

The cable company will probably be migrating everything to digital
eventually but they know that will make satellite more attractive for
anyone without a QAM tuner equipped TV (not the same as the OTA
"digital" the FCC requires). If you need a box for every TV anyway,
satellite really starts looking good.

We have four Comcast provided HD Cable boxes in the house hooked up to
either plasma or LCD large screen TVs. We rarely watch any programming on
them and I am thinking of getting rid of 2 or 3 of the boxes. The digital
flat screens will display several channels in HD anyway without the box
(connected directly to the cable feed).

I also purchased a portable sat dish and got a Direct TV account for use on
the boat. It works great and during the winter I bring it home and have the
dish temporarily mounted on a rear porch. All the programming is digital
obviously, and the quality of the picture is superior to that provided by
Comcast which has some of the programming in digital and some in analog
(without use of a box). I just have the basic service but I get over 500
channels, which is kinda stupid because I only watch about 4 of them. It's
not HD, but for some reason the quality of the picture is very good. When
people see it they think it's HD until I show them the difference.

If it weren't for Internet service, I think I could easily dump Comcast and
go to Direct TV.
I know they offer Internet as well, but I don't think it's as fast as cable.
I don't know for sure.

Eisboch

My neighbor got rid of his cable tv connections and just uses an antenna.
He's getting great reception on his HDTV and is very happy with what he's
getting.

If he were married to my wife, he wouldn't get away with it. There are too
many cable shows she won't do without.

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:50:12 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message

It'll work. The only thing that the going digital thing will affect is
if you use an antenna. What I'm ****ed about is that now the History
Channel has went to digital format, the only way you can get it is
with the Comcast box. Only have one on the main TV, all the other TV's
are just wired directly to cable.

-----------------------------------

Yeah. A few months ago they moved MSNBC to a digital channel also and it
now requires one of their boxes to continue to receive it ... even on a
digital TV. This is a different issue than the analog to digital
transition. MSNBC used to be part of the "Basic" service plan, included in
the analog, straight out of the wall (no box) capabilities. Now it's part
of a package for which a box *is* required, regardless of TV (analog or
digital) type. Around here it used to be on channel 59. They moved it to
a digital channel (114). If I select channel 114 on a digital TV connected
directly to the wall (no box), I get C-Span. If I select 114 using
Comcast's box, I get MSNBC. Starting to get confusing.

Eisboch

Seems like you'd pay *not* to get MSNBC!
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

On Jan 7, 1:09 pm, wrote:
On Jan 7, 11:21 am, wrote:

[...]

But Harry said.............................................. .........

hk hk is offline

wrote:
On Jan 7, 1:27 pm, hk wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 7, 1:09 pm, wrote:
On Jan 7, 11:21 am, wrote:
[...]

You incorrectly parsed my response. I was responding to the marketing by
cable companies, not the technology.

hk wrote:

Well, once again you say you are informed, but offer zero information
to back your claim.. I mean, it's obvious that you have plenty of time
to correct me (cut and paste from google), but you really have nothing
to offer... Stick to insults, it's all you have...

Tell you the truth, I find it far more fun and more interesting, too, to
watch you and several others wallow in your ignorance and stupidity.

Here's a hint: "digital" in cable tv usage has a lot to do with numbers
like 480, 720, and higher, and very little to do with beaming signals
down from satellites.

Harry,
You really are wallowing in your ignorance and stupidity. As far a
cable companies are concerned when they talk "digital", they are talking
about cable transmission and it has NOTHING to do with High Definition.

They offer analog transmission, digital transmission, regular definition
and high definition. You are comparing apples and oranges and calling
someone else stupid as you gag on your foot.

Eisboch wrote:

"hk" wrote in message

Here's a hint: "digital" in cable tv usage has a lot to do with
numbers like 480, 720, and higher, and very little to do with beaming
signals down from satellites.

Um. not really.

I think we are discussing digital versus analog signal transmission
methods, not format or screen resolution.

Eisboch

He was talking about the analog vs digital signal transmission

wrote:
On Jan 7, 1:27 pm, hk wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You will never find a Cable Company selling High Definition vs Regular
Definition by using a marketing term "digital". When a cable company
discusses "digital" they are talking about the method of transmitting
the information over the cable. Even when it was pointed out to you,
you are busy tap dancing instead of just admitting you had no idea what
you were talking about.