Default Chrysler Plans Month-Long Shutdown

Jim wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
Boater wrote:

Actually, he doesn't really have a job. He's an "at-will" employee,
a day worker, as it were, with no benefits whatsoever.

What benefits do I need? I take responsibility for my current needs
and my future needs.

To each his own. I am thankful for my many years of union membership
and the fact that I kept it up even though I haven't worked at my
skilled union trade for a long, long time. I've paid for my benefits,
but thanks to collective effort, they are far superior and at a lower
price than I could have purchased individually. Plus, they have been
"portable," and not related to payroll employment I have had since.

The pension I will be getting if ever I put in for it will be small,
but the health benefits all these years have been first-rate.

The best financial decision I ever made was the day after I realized
for certain "the stock market" was a fraud. I got almost entirely out
of the market then, and haven't looked back. Some of my buddies took a
real bath in their 401k accounts, and I feel for them.

I'm friendly with the head of investments at one of the international
union pension funds. They stopped investing in stocks about 25 years
ago because no matter what they bought, someone complained about the
corporation's behavior. I'm not familiar with their portfolio, but I
do know they keep well ahead of liabilities for their current and
future defined benefit pension holders.

Aren't you eligible to piggy back on your "wife'/Significant other's"
benefit plan? Does her union recognize domestic partnerships for benefit
programs?

Is Harry a lesbian?

BAR wrote:
Jim wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
Boater wrote:

[...]

In my next life.

The pile of **** known as FloridaJim is so curious about me. Strange.

Boater wrote:
BAR wrote:
Jim wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
Boater wrote:

[...]

You are an oddity. You invite questions?
Jim Jim is offline

BAR wrote:
Jim wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
Boater wrote:

[...]

Doubtful. I was thinking cohabitation or common law rights. Did I use a
wrong term?
Jim Jim is offline

Boater wrote:
BAR wrote:
Jim wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
Boater wrote:

[...]

You certainly are strange. But you do have a certain perverse
entertainment value.

Senior Member

On Dec 18, 7:54*pm, Jim wrote:
Boater wrote:
BAR wrote:
Jim wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
Boater wrote:

[...]

entertainment value.- Hide quoted text -

So, what do you guys think of the Hyundai Santa Fe? I was looking at
them tonight. Like the stability control and the room in the back
seats.. The cockpit is a little tighter than the Blazer and I don't
like the automatic 4WD. You can't lock it in maually, the computer
does it when it needs it...

Jim wrote:
BAR wrote:
Jim wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
Boater wrote:

[...]

"Domestic partnership" usually means same sex partner.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:04:55 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Dec 18, 7:54*pm, Jim wrote:
Boater wrote:
BAR wrote:
Jim wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
Boater wrote:

[...]

Some Consumer Reports comments:

Model Summary:
The Santa Fe is pleasant and has a small, optional third-row seat. The
standard 2.7-liter V6 does an acceptable job, but the optional 3.3-liter V6
is more powerful and refined. The five-speed automatic is slick and
responsive. Electronic stability control and curtain air bags are standard.
The Santa Fe is roomy and quiet with fairly quick steering response, making
it more agile than the last model. We found the ride compliant and better
controlled. The seats are comfortable, but head room is a bit tight for
tall drivers.

Road Test:

Road Test
The Santa Fe is a good SUV and trails only the Subaru Forester and Toyota
RAV4 V6 at the top of our Ratings. With an interior now big enough for a
third-row seat and excellent fit and finish, it is a refined and versatile
package. It has responsive handling with a firm but comfortable ride. The
3.3-liter V6 is smooth, but fuel economy is disappointing (a 2.7-liter V6
is standard).

THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE
The ride is compliant and steady, with restrained body motions. The cabin
is quiet, with well-suppressed road and wind noise. Routine handling is
more nimble and responsive than its predecessor's but not as sporty as some
competing models, such as the Mitsubishi Outlander's. Steering is fairly
quick but lightly weighted. At the track, the Santa Fe was reasonably quick
in our avoidance maneuver, aided by well-calibrated standard stability
control. The 242-horsepower, 3.3-liter V6 and five-speed automatic
transmission make for a smooth and responsive powertrain, but we measured
only 18 mpg overall. The AWD model we tested has a locking differential for
slippery conditions. The Santa Fe can tow a trailer weighing up to 3,500
pounds. The brake pedal is firm, and stops were fairly short. Halogen
headlights shone a good distance.

INSIDE THE CABIN
Rubberized and nicely grained surfaces and lined storage bins are pleasant
touches. Most panels fit together well, with tight seams. Drivers have
plenty of knee and leg room, but taller ones found insufficient head room
because of the sunroof. The steering wheel tilts and telescopes. Visibility
is good to the front and sides, but small rear side windows, the third-row
seatbacks (when in use), and thick rear pillars obscure the view to the
rear. Firm front seats provide good back support. The second-row seat is
roomy and comfortable for three passengers, but the cushion is too low for
good thigh support. The Santa Fe's third-row seat is suitable only for
children, with a low cushion and very little leg room. The 50/50-split
bench is easy to fold. Access to the front and second row is excellent
through large door openings. Third-row access is tight past the flipped-up
second-row seats. Most controls are simple and well labeled, but the gauges
lack daytime contrast. The cabin has moderate storage, and cargo capacity
is 37.5 cubic feet with third- and second-row seatbacks folded. The
liftgate opens easily and rises clear of a six-footer's head. A hand strap
inside the liftgate helps shorter people reach up and close it. A large
exterior handle also assists with opening the gate.

SAFETY NOTES
Front seatback-mounted side-impact and curtain head-protection air bags,
extending to protect front and rear outboard occupants, are both standard
on the Santa Fe. They supplement required front air bags and three-point
seatbelts in all seating positions. The front seatbelts have adjustable
upper anchors for improving comfort and safety, and are equipped with
pretensioners and force limiters to reduce the belt slack and forces in the
event of a crash. Air bag deployment levels are influenced by the front
occupant's belt usage and seat position. An occupant classification system
for the front passenger seat is designed to turn off the front air bag if
it detects a child seated there or if the seat is unoccupied. There are
adjustable and locking head restraints in all seats. The front versions are
tall enough even when lowered and are active -- they move forward and
upward in response to the force of the occupant's body to further reduce
head travel and whiplash injury. Restraints in the second- and third-row
seats must be raised to provide adequate protection for taller passengers.
Driving with kids: Third-row seating does not provide enough room to
install rear-facing seats behind the raised second-row seatbacks.
Front-facing seats can be installed, but there are no top tether anchors
for the third row. Some rear-facing infant seat bases will also prove
difficult to secure in the second-row seats using the seatbelts due to
side-to-side movement or belts anchored forward of the seatbacks. LATCH
installations should be secure; there are lower LATCH anchors in the
outboard second-row seats, but they are recessed and awkward to access.
There are three top tether anchors for the second row on the seatbacks.

RELIABILITY
We expect reliability to be better than average, according to our latest
subscriber survey.
Tested model: 2007 Limited 4-door SUV AWD, 3.3-liter V6, 5-speed automatic
Major options: Touring package (third row seat, rear climate control),
premium package (sunroof).

This road test applies to the current model year of this vehicle.

Owner Satisfaction: 75% owners surveyed said they'd buy another one. The
highest rating was 83%, and the lowest was 32% (Jeep Commander). The
Hyundai was in the top third.

Hope that helps. One of my brothers-in-law has a sedan, and he likes it
very much.

But remember, when I was there Korea was called 'The Land of the Almost
Perfect'. Everything had something wrong with it. But, that was over
twenty-five years ago. Maybe things are better now.
--
We say, "MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

John

wrote in message
On Dec 18, 7:54 pm, Jim wrote:
Boater wrote:
BAR wrote:
Jim wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
Boater wrote:

[...]

My daughter has a Santa Fe in 2 wheel drive. Nice car. Not great mileage.