Default Various Naval terms.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:45:40 -0400, "Don White"
wrote:

A picture is worth a thousand words...
http://www.ns1763.ca/hfxrm/sailor-statue.html
and if anyone wants one for a Christmas present...
http://www.bluenose2.ns.ca/Catalogue.../DittyBag.html

That statue reminds me of a mate named Joe Cafone.
From Nutley N.J., home of Richie Valli and the 4 Seasons.
His ma would send him home made Italian sausages and hard cheeses.
Kept well in the mail and lasted a while on ship.
Didn't care for it myself.
See that package on the shoulder?
Probably dried Italian sausage for a long voyage.
Me, I'd be lugging a few cases of Coca-Cola.

--Vic

Eisboch wrote:
"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:34:41 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 17, 6:50 pm, Tim wrote:
I thought this was pretty interesting. Of course now ALL are listed,
but some insight on how some terms came about:

http://www.seasabres.com/%5CNon%20Se...Navy_terms.htm
Good post, thanks.

It's a start. They left out a lot of stuff, like "****ing-A
dittybag."

--Vic

Had not heard that one for a long time. I remember it be shortened to
simply, "****in' A Ditty".

Now, I wonder how many non vets know what a dittybag is (without the help
of Google)

Me, I do!
HK HK is offline

BAR wrote:

On Dec 17, 6:50 pm, Tim wrote:
I thought this was pretty interesting. Of course now ALL are listed,
but some insight on how some terms came about:

http://www.seasabres.com/%5CNon%20Se...Navy_terms.htm
Good post, thanks.
It's a start. They left out a lot of stuff, like "****ing-A
dittybag."

--Vic

Had not heard that one for a long time. I remember it be shortened to
simply, "****in' A Ditty".

Now, I wonder how many non vets know what a dittybag is (without the
help of Google)

Me, I do!

I know, too. So does every former boy scout.
Jim Jim is offline

On Dec 17, 6:50 pm, Tim wrote:
I thought this was pretty interesting. Of course now ALL are listed,
but some insight on how some terms came about:

http://www.seasabres.com/%5CNon%20Se...Navy_terms.htm
Good post, thanks.

It's a start. They left out a lot of stuff, like "****ing-A
dittybag."

--Vic

Or shortened "****in-A"
Senior Member

On Dec 17, 6:50 pm, Tim wrote:
I thought this was pretty interesting. Of course now ALL are listed,
but some insight on how some terms came about:

http://www.seasabres.com/%5CNon%20Se...Navy_terms.htm
Good post, thanks.

It's a start. *They left out a lot of stuff, like "****ing-A
dittybag."

--Vic

Or shortened "****in-A"

Somebody callin' me? Huh??

Tim Tim is offline

On Dec 17, 6:50 pm, Tim wrote:
I thought this was pretty interesting. Of course now ALL are listed,
but some insight on how some terms came about:

http://www.seasabres.com/%5CNon%20Se...Navy_terms.htm
Good post, thanks.

It's a start. *They left out a lot of stuff, like "****ing-A
dittybag."

--Vic

Or shortened "****in-A"

i thought that term was origionally f*ckin' "Aye"

On Dec 17, 6:50 pm, Tim wrote:
I thought this was pretty interesting. Of course now ALL are listed,
but some insight on how some terms came about:

http://www.seasabres.com/%5CNon%20Se...Navy_terms.htm
Good post, thanks.

It's a start. They left out a lot of stuff, like "****ing-A
dittybag."

--Vic

Or shortened "****in-A"

Apparently the Army always used the shortened version.
--

John Salmonbait

On Dec 17, 6:50 pm, Tim wrote:
I thought this was pretty interesting. Of course now ALL are listed,
but some insight on how some terms came about:

http://www.seasabres.com/%5CNon%20Se...Navy_terms.htm
Good post, thanks.

It's a start. They left out a lot of stuff, like "****ing-A
dittybag."

--Vic

Or shortened "****in-A"

Apparently the Army always used the shortened version.

That's why the Navy added dittybag. Identity politics.

--Vic

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Don White" wrote in message

On Dec 17, 6:50 pm, Tim wrote:
I thought this was pretty interesting. Of course now ALL are listed,
but some insight on how some terms came about:

http://www.seasabres.com/%5CNon%20Se...Navy_terms.htm

Good post, thanks.

It's a start. They left out a lot of stuff, like "****ing-A
dittybag."

--Vic

Had not heard that one for a long time. I remember it be shortened to
simply, "****in' A Ditty".

Now, I wonder how many non vets know what a dittybag is (without the
help of Google)

Eisboch

A picture is worth a thousand words...
http://www.ns1763.ca/hfxrm/sailor-statue.html
and if anyone wants one for a Christmas present...
http://www.bluenose2.ns.ca/Catalogue.../DittyBag.html

Nope. Second picture is close, but "silkscreened"? Hardly.

The ditty bag we were issued was smaller, and had to be hung by your rack
with care. (In hopes that liberty would soon be there).

Eisboch

Air Force did not have ditty bag. I remember a shaving kit, and we had to
buy the individual parts at excess prices in 1965.

"HK" wrote in message
BAR wrote:

On Dec 17, 6:50 pm, Tim wrote:
I thought this was pretty interesting. Of course now ALL are listed,
but some insight on how some terms came about:

http://www.seasabres.com/%5CNon%20Se...Navy_terms.htm
Good post, thanks.
It's a start. They left out a lot of stuff, like "****ing-A
dittybag."

--Vic

Had not heard that one for a long time. I remember it be shortened to
simply, "****in' A Ditty".

Now, I wonder how many non vets know what a dittybag is (without the
help of Google)

Me, I do!

I know, too. So does every former boy scout.

Maybe east coast scouts.

Market terms Gordon Cruising 0 October 11th 08 11:26 PM
Sailing terms Scotty ASA 4 October 9th 06 05:37 PM
Terms RogueIT ASA 13 August 21st 06 01:50 PM
What do these terms mean? John Cruising 9 October 8th 04 01:39 AM
terms of use NH_/\)_ ASA 0 August 4th 03 04:40 AM