John

Default What do these terms mean?

M.O.R.C. self righting requirements
Hull Speed

And, for a 19' sailboat, what do you make of the following?
Disp./Length 104
Sail Area/Disp 24.8
Length/Beam 2.53

Specifically, it is an ODay Mariner.

Thanks

Rich Hampel

For details of the the concepts go to:
http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/design.htm and follow the
links.

In article , John
wrote:

M.O.R.C. self righting requirements
Hull Speed

And, for a 19' sailboat, what do you make of the following?
Disp./Length 104
Sail Area/Disp 24.8
Length/Beam 2.53

Specifically, it is an ODay Mariner.

Thanks

Terry Spragg

wrote:

M.O.R.C. self righting requirements

Multinational Offshore Racing Committee specification as to how well
a boat must right itself after being broached?

Hull Speed

Is that in meters?

An arbitrarily defined number that reflects somewhat generally on
the low speed / drag curve anomaly at what is quaintly called "hull
Speed", a very important concept for those who sail commercially
bearing cargo, which prompts for an investigation of hull form /
drag relationships? Dunno.

Will we discover other anomalies around air / transonic and water /
transonic speeds and harmonic interactions thereafter?

Will they matter much to us common ducks?

And, for a 19' sailboat, what do you make of the following?
Disp./Length 104
Sail Area/Disp 24.8
Length/Beam 2.53

Specifically, it is an ODay Mariner.

Some numbers that will tell the well experienced something technical
about how well the boat can dump you in the water. Don't forget to
take your laptop in a freezer baggie to calculate how to trim the sails.

I believe the Mariner is self bailing. That means that if you fall
out of it when it dumps you into the water, if you get the sails
down and turn the boat right side up, and if allowed to drain
somewhat, it will bail itself out enough to sail well enough that
the holes in the transom will suck out all of the water.

Provided it doesn't dump you back in the water, again.

It's light and tippy, if you sail it right. Daysailers are supposed
to be like that. The only way to tell if you will like it is to sail
one.

Or am I misremembering again? It is a centerboarder? You don't give
a ballast / displacement ratio.

Terry K

John

wrote:

[...]

It has a 70 pound centerboard and 250 pounds of ballast; out of a total
weight of 1305 pounds.

I had a 16' (MFG Bandit) that did go over, and I had difficulting getting it
back up.
I am looking for something that is reluctant to go over and come up easily.
Although tippy, would this fit the bill? Thanks.

Jeff Morris

The Mariner is a cuddy version of the Rhodes 19. It is still being built by
Stuart Marine of Maine. They come in both centerboard and keel versions, and I
thought the centerboard was quite heavy, like over 100 pounds. I've only sailed
the keel version of the 19/Mariner. They aren't self bailing, but I've never
come close to flipping one, even in heavy air.

The Rhodes 19 has been very popular, over 4000 built, and is still raced
extensively in New England.

wrote:

[...]

Jere Lull

In article , "John"
wrote:

M.O.R.C. self righting requirements
Hull Speed

And, for a 19' sailboat, what do you make of the following?
Disp./Length 104
Sail Area/Disp 24.8
Length/Beam 2.53

Specifically, it is an ODay Mariner.

FUN boat! Enjoy!

--
Jere Lull
Terry Spragg

JAXAshby wrote:
good discription, Ter.

Gee, A KUDO! Thanks, As! First I remember in this forum, but
considering the source, sir, you do me no reliably benificial or
[-----------------------------------------------------^ sp -tk]
reputable favour, but instead, shake my confidence (a prodigous
accomplishment). Now I must review my response to see what
apparently adopted misconceptions I may have fostered. -TK
;-)

[...]

Terry Spragg

wrote:

[...]

I unintentionally upset and then righted a 13 footer, forget the
class, at age 55 I think, last time, a while ago. It was at first
difficult, because I though I could do it with the sail still up.
Doesn't always go well, that. But, do it right (egad!) with the
sail lowered, over a stern quarter, and it is an enjoyable exercise
on a hot day, if you like watersports. Sailing a dinghy is by
definition, a barefoot water sport, and to qualify on any such
sailing course, you must be practiced and confident in the method.
'Taint hard. You must pull down the sail before attempting the
recovery, or learn to sail better;-)

Shortening sail before dumping in increasing winds means you won't
as likely need to douse it, wet and then re-hoist it, reefed. Can
you reef the sail on your boat? Some think that wild days, full
sails and free baths are the pithy point of dinghy sailing.

A 16 footer is more fun with two aboard, and is likely easier to
right, with teamwork.

You do rig a short rope bridle for a foot hold during reboarding,
don't you? A loose jib sheet, pulled snug through it's fairlead and
handed at the gunnel, serves conveniently for a leg up, as would a
dedicated line kept rigged in the boat for eventual use, or even the
mainsheet.

There are tricks in every trade.

A sailing dinghy is expected to capsize occasionally, and be
righted. A 20 footer can be made to do so, as can any sailboat in
sufficiently demented hands. 20 footers, and most fixed keelboats,
can sink when dumped, especially if the companionway boards are
removed. Any boat stable enough to never capsize..., no, wait a
minute, can't be done reliably, and wouldn't sail well, anyway, as
it must be set into a concrete berth ashore.

Get a self bailer, unsinkable, if you worry about such things. Yours
is likely so now, as you seem to have survived it. You will be more
comfortable knowing how to not dump it, and knowing it is
survivable, even enjoyable, if you are set up for it, and fit. It
impresses the girls no end!

Just remember to tie the beer cooler on a tether to the boat.

Terry K