Default Cameras, cameras??

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:09:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 15, 11:57*am, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:39:02 -0400, "Don White"

wrote:
Just to be different, I'm leaning towards the Canon lineup of cameras.
After reading my 'bible', the Consumer Report December issue, I had pretty
well settled on the PowerShot A650IS but after handling the camera in a
store..(felt cheap) and finding out that it is a 2007 model (not in the
current lineup), I'm thinking again.

I'm leaning towards the G10 top of the line compact rather than the Rebel
SXI DSLR. *(lower level SLR)
Although the price difference between them isn't that much ($250.00 CDN)
unless you add a telephoto lens, the convience of the smaller, lighter G10
might make up for the weakness of the much smaller processer to handle dim
light conditions and noise at 400 ISO or higher.
The G10 is slower also, so not the greatest for fast action sports.
Does anyone here own a G10....... or at least seriously tried it out?

Well, if price isn't a problem, I would opt for the DSLR over the
fixed lens G10. *They are pretty much in the same category as far as
weight and size go and the DSLR is much more versatile given certain
factors - such as shutter speeds, adjustments and lens adaptability.
With a decent zoom, you will get a much better image due to the fact
that a lot of fixed lens zoom is digital in nature rather than being a
function of lens length.

However, its really up to you and what you are comfortable with.

The new Olympus Stylus SW series is getting great reviews - most
notably it's nearly indestructible nature. *And it takes some
unbelievable pictures. *It's not a 4/3rds camera - yet.

http://www.getolympus.ca/

We hosted our annual neighborhood Christams party last Saturday night,
and since my wife and I are looking to get a new camera, I asked one
of our guests about it.

The guy and his wife own and operate one of the best photography
studios around. His recommendation for a point-n-shoot was Canon.
Specifically, he said to get no more than an 8MP camera, and make it a
Canon. That's what they own and use when appropriate.

I hvae a Canon PnS myself and it does a good and more than adequate
job.

By the way, did you get my email?

wrote:
[...]

By the way, did you get my email?- Hide quoted text -

I stopped on my way home and picked up a Powershot SD1100 IS. It's
usually $200, but Office Depot was running a special for $150. Got
the Sandisk Ultra II 4gb SDHC memory card as well for $29. Less than
$200, and my wife is happy! The camera is too small for my hands, but
so far it takes good snapshots. With facial recognition and image
stabilization, it's hard to screw it up. Obviously not in the same
league as a good DSLR, but she doesn't want the complexity or larger
camera size that would bring. She can drop this in her purse.

I'll have to go upstairs and check my account. I'll let you know in a
bit.

wrote:
[...]

Nope, no email. Unless that was you telling me that I had won some
email contest in the Netherlands for $150K. :-)
D K D K is offline

Don White wrote:
Just to be different, I'm leaning towards the Canon lineup of cameras.
After reading my 'bible', the Consumer Report December issue, I had pretty
well settled on the PowerShot A650IS but after handling the camera in a
store..(felt cheap) and finding out that it is a 2007 model (not in the
current lineup), I'm thinking again.

I'm leaning towards the G10 top of the line compact rather than the Rebel
SXI DSLR. (lower level SLR)
Although the price difference between them isn't that much ($250.00 CDN)
unless you add a telephoto lens, the convience of the smaller, lighter G10
might make up for the weakness of the much smaller processer to handle dim
light conditions and noise at 400 ISO or higher.
The G10 is slower also, so not the greatest for fast action sports.
Does anyone here own a G10....... or at least seriously tried it out?

Are you going to one-hand that while you put around in your rowboat?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:44:43 -0500, D K
wrote:

Don White wrote:
[...]

Ahem - it's not a row boat - it's a lean mean fishing machine.

Or at least it was when I owned it. :)

D K D K is offline

wrote:

Don White wrote:
[...]

I didn't see any rods in those pictures, only a manual bilge pump and a
rope. It appears to now be a sightseeing vessel for the single man.

"D K" wrote in message

Are you going to one-hand that while you put around in your rowboat?

One-hand this, rowboy!

D K D K is offline

Don White wrote:
"D K" wrote in message
Are you going to one-hand that while you put around in your rowboat?

One-hand this, rowboy!

You don't represent your country very well with lame remarks like that,
dummy.

"D K" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
"D K" wrote in message
Are you going to one-hand that while you put around in your rowboat?

One-hand this, rowboy!

You don't represent your country very well with lame remarks like that,
dummy.

Represent this, country boy!

wrote:

Just to be different, I'm leaning towards the Canon lineup of cameras.
After reading my 'bible', the Consumer Report December issue, I had pretty
well settled on the PowerShot A650IS but after handling the camera in a
store..(felt cheap) and finding out that it is a 2007 model (not in the
current lineup), I'm thinking again.

I'm leaning towards the G10 top of the line compact rather than the Rebel
SXI DSLR. (lower level SLR)
Although the price difference between them isn't that much ($250.00 CDN)
unless you add a telephoto lens, the convience of the smaller, lighter G10
might make up for the weakness of the much smaller processer to handle dim
light conditions and noise at 400 ISO or higher.
The G10 is slower also, so not the greatest for fast action sports.
Does anyone here own a G10....... or at least seriously tried it out?

Good choice. Harry's better half has great luck with a Canon. I'm sure you
will too. Don't get an SLR. They're a waste of your money. Ask Harry, he's
spent a bunch on SLRs and his wife takes better pictures with her Canon.
--
John

Speed cameras Tim Streater ASA 4 May 29th 06 03:44 PM
Real cameras Bob Crantz ASA 31 April 25th 06 01:55 PM
Bob knows cameras Joe ASA 1 November 7th 05 03:23 PM
video cameras jake General 2 January 23rd 04 08:13 PM