Default ¿¿¿Winterizing a V-8 houseboat engine???

Richard Casady wrote:

PLUS, it will be mixing with the water that is
already there thereby reducing the protection level (and possibly
passing the threshold of protection).

Adding 10% water to pure glycol, which freezes at 8 F, lowers the
freezing point to -90 F.

An interesting side point for sure, but there are few things in this
thread that are pointing us in a different direction. First, it was
recommended to use the 'pink' stuff which is usually plumbing
anti-freeze and should never be used in engines, secondly, no one ever
starts out with pure glycol because they're mixing it for their target
protection (plus a safety factor). Now throw in the variable that we're
going to blend our starting mixture with an unknown quantity of water in
the engine, that may or may not get totally purged and/or mixed and
we've got a situation I'd rather not be in personally.

Food for thought.

--
Regards,
Dave Brown
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:22:25 -0500, Dave Brown wrote:

loonfellow@lakeside. wrote:

Then I guess I do need to fill it with anti-freeze and tighten
everything back up or it will fill back up with lake water?

Are you leaving it in the water for the winter? Then there's other
things you need to do...

Yes, I'm leaving it in the water. I'm in GA though, so there's no
need to worry about the lake freezing. I do need to worry about
the motor filling up with lake water, or even filling to a certain
point though. It seems that if I fill it with anti-freeze, or even
50/50 then it would eventually become a pretty even mix of
water and anti-freeze throughout the whole system which would
be full and allow no more lake water to come in, prevent any
pockets of just water which could freeze, and keep gaskets
etc from drying out.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:18:38 -0500, Dave Brown wrote:

wrote:

Use automotive anti freeze which is better for aluminium and the
different metals than domestic plumbing stuff.

Which is also toxic and illegal. Use the non-toxic kind. Walmart has
it in the RV section.

You didn't read the link did you? ;-)

One more time:

http://brownsmarina.com/tech-af.html

Where do you get the Propylene Glycol? That's what is
used in fog machines.

loonfellow@lakeside. wrote:

http://brownsmarina.com/tech-af.html

Where do you get the Propylene Glycol? That's what is
used in fog machines.

Also has been used as a a food additive.

It's normally what's labeled "non toxic" anti-freeze.

--
Regards,
Dave Brown

On Dec 15, 8:18*am, loonfellow@lakeside. wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:13:32 GMT, (Richard Casady) wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:21:31 -0500, Dave Brown
wrote:

PLUS, it will be mixing with the water that is
already there thereby reducing the protection level (and possibly
passing the threshold of protection).

Adding 10% water to pure glycol, which freezes at 8 F, lowers the
freezing point to -90 F.

Casady

* * Since water freezes at 32 F, how could that possibly be true?

Strangely enough that is true. Blends of glycol and water have a
lower freezing point that straight glycol. Go figure....

loonfellow@lakeside. wrote:

Yes, I'm leaving it in the water. I'm in GA though, so there's no
need to worry about the lake freezing. I do need to worry about
the motor filling up with lake water, or even filling to a certain
point though. It seems that if I fill it with anti-freeze, or even
50/50 then it would eventually become a pretty even mix of
water and anti-freeze throughout the whole system which would
be full and allow no more lake water to come in, prevent any
pockets of just water which could freeze, and keep gaskets
etc from drying out.

What you may need to worry about is your sea cocks freezing and
splitting though. You need to isolate the engine from the sea cocks and
then winterize the engine, then you need to fill the sea cocks with oil
to save them (and your boat).

--
Regards,
Dave Brown