Big Daddy

Default engine winterizing question

Opinions please. I've just winterized my 4.3 liter Volvo with duoprop
outdrive. After draining exhaust manifolds, engine block, impeller,
and then adding antifreeze to all the appropriate areas, I'm
wondering...is there any benefit to starting the engine for a few
seconds after filling it up with antifreeze? I'm wondering if running
it for a few seconds would actually circulate the antifreeze to
potential 'dead zones' or mix any remaining water pockets. I've
winterized for years and never started it but was wondering what you
guys think.

Thanks,

Wayne
Tamaroak

One thing this might hurt could be the impeller. If you run it dry, it
will fry.

Capt. Jeff
JamesgangNC

If you have opened all the drains then there is little chance of any
significant water left anywhere. Many people don't even put antifreeze in.
A little water in the bottom of cooling passages freezing will not damage
your block because it will have room to expand. Just like ice cubes in
plastic tray.

"Big Daddy" wrote in message
om...
Opinions please. I've just winterized my 4.3 liter Volvo with duoprop
outdrive. After draining exhaust manifolds, engine block, impeller,
and then adding antifreeze to all the appropriate areas, I'm
wondering...is there any benefit to starting the engine for a few
seconds after filling it up with antifreeze? I'm wondering if running
it for a few seconds would actually circulate the antifreeze to
potential 'dead zones' or mix any remaining water pockets. I've
winterized for years and never started it but was wondering what you
guys think.

Thanks,

Wayne

bomar

If you properly winterized it you would have fogged the engine.
Running it after fogging would negate the fogging.
As others have stated you would also fry the impeller running it dry.
BTW, did you remember to drain the power steering cooler (if so equipped)
and add antifreeze to it?

om...