Dave Brown Dave Brown is offline

Default ¿¿¿Winterizing a V-8 houseboat engine???

Richard Casady wrote:

PLUS, it will be mixing with the water that is
already there thereby reducing the protection level (and possibly
passing the threshold of protection).

Adding 10% water to pure glycol, which freezes at 8 F, lowers the
freezing point to -90 F.

An interesting side point for sure, but there are few things in this
thread that are pointing us in a different direction. First, it was
recommended to use the 'pink' stuff which is usually plumbing
anti-freeze and should never be used in engines, secondly, no one ever
starts out with pure glycol because they're mixing it for their target
protection (plus a safety factor). Now throw in the variable that we're
going to blend our starting mixture with an unknown quantity of water in
the engine, that may or may not get totally purged and/or mixed and
we've got a situation I'd rather not be in personally.

Food for thought.

--
Regards,
Dave Brown