DK DK is offline

Default On-Topic (and My Apologies)

Boater wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:
I realized my selfishness in watching the news of the moment compelled
me to make an off-topic post about Hillary and the Dow.
I should move the TV so I can't see/hear it from the computer.
Nah.
We all know off-topic stuff is frowned upon here, so I'll try to make
amends with this on-topic post.
What's boat would you like to have, other than the one you currently
own? But only what you can afford.
What do you think of O'hara's Tolman?
Could O'hara and Eisboch pool their resources and invent a new boat?
Ever want to build your own boat? (Don't answer, Scotty)
Anybody here actually fish from a canoe?

Ok, that's enough for now.

--Vic

1. I'm thinking of pulling an Eisboch, selling the boats I have now, and
buying a new boat after the "thaw."

2. Not to my taste. I'd rather have a nice dory.

3. Eisboch might; O'Hara's would blow up.

4. Nope. Though I did help build a couple of boats for others.

6. Yup.

Boats? Sure.

You might want to keep the "lobster boat". You may have to live in it
if you **** off the old lady.

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 19:35:38 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Ummmm.... I've fished from a canoe.

And how did you like it?
Any suggestions as to landing big fish, it that happened?
Sort of hoping you or O'hara would have some boat design ideas.
Here's some:
http://www.rexresearch.com/boats/1boat.htm

--Vic

Spent several summers as a kid on a fresh water pond (small lake) in a
wooden framed, canvas covered canoe. Did a lot of bass fishing ... paddling
around for hours trolling with a Rebel lure. (it was the only one I had).
Caught a few.

I don't have a clue how to design a boat. I have enough problems piloting
them.

Eisboch

DK DK is offline

Boater wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:17:40 -0500, Boater
wrote:

Anybody here actually fish from a canoe?

6. Yup.

So tell us about it. Don't need a novel.

--Vic

It's no big deal. Out on the Shenandoah and some of it branches. Very
light spinning gear for smallies, and light fly tackle for trout. It's
no big deal to cast small spin or fly tackle from a canoe. We have a
half interest in an Old Town model 169, green, which we bought used from
an outfitter. We bought a used canoe previously from the same outfitter,
and literally wore it out.

"We"? So you have a quarter interest in a canoe and ZERO interest in a
house. Sucks to be you, WAFA.
Senior Member

On Nov 21, 4:12*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
I realized my selfishness in watching the news of the moment compelled
me to make an off-topic post about Hillary and the Dow.
I should move the TV so I can't see/hear it from the computer.
Nah.
We all know off-topic stuff is frowned upon here, so I'll try to make
amends with this on-topic post.
What's boat would you like to have, other than the one you currently
own? *But only what you can afford.
What do you think of O'hara's Tolman?
Could O'hara and Eisboch pool their resources and invent a new boat?
Ever want to build your own boat? (Don't answer, Scotty)

Must be a democrat... I always liked the Simmons Sea Skiff..

Anybody here actually fish from a canoe?

Ok, that's enough for now.

--Vic

Vic ain't tellin' me what to do SCOTTY !!!

DK wrote:
wrote:

Anybody here actually fish from a canoe?

6. Yup.

So tell us about it. Don't need a novel.

--Vic

It's no big deal. Out on the Shenandoah and some of it branches. Very
light spinning gear for smallies, and light fly tackle for trout. It's
no big deal to cast small spin or fly tackle from a canoe. We have a
half interest in an Old Town model 169, green, which we bought used
from an outfitter. We bought a used canoe previously from the same
outfitter, and literally wore it out.

"We"? So you have a quarter interest in a canoe and ZERO interest in a
house. Sucks to be you, WAFA.

Hehehe. You're still and always will be...an idiot.

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:06:53 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Must be a democrat... I always liked the Simmons Sea Skiff..

Looks nice.

Vic ain't tellin' me what to do SCOTTY !!!

If I was to build a boat, I'd go for this

http://www.fishyfish.com/renn_tolman/index.html

Just because of the "chick magnet" factor.
I mean "boat geek" factor.
Diesel. Tunnel.
You can really play with this one.

--Vic

Vic Smith wrote in
:

I realized my selfishness in watching the news of the moment compelled
me to make an off-topic post about Hillary and the Dow.
I should move the TV so I can't see/hear it from the computer.
Nah.
We all know off-topic stuff is frowned upon here, so I'll try to make
amends with this on-topic post.
What's boat would you like to have, other than the one you currently
own? But only what you can afford.
What do you think of O'hara's Tolman?
Could O'hara and Eisboch pool their resources and invent a new boat?
Ever want to build your own boat? (Don't answer, Scotty)
Anybody here actually fish from a canoe?

Ok, that's enough for now.

--Vic

I fish from a canoe all the time - it is a magnificent trolling vessel,
quiet, slow, maneuverable - and lots of fun if you happen to tie into a
lunker smallmouth, who can take you for a Nantucket sleigh ride. There
are limitations - casting from a kneeling position is limited, and after
several hours one becomes somewhat stiff (watching me roll out of the
canoe onto a dock and then trying to stand is one of the comic
highlights of the week), but by and large I love fishing from a canoe.
Three inch draft is also a plus sometimes.

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:40:53 -0500, Boater
wrote:

I wouldn't go canoeing or kayaking in waters where there are lots of
other boats, especially large powerboats. When we lived in Florida, I
saw canoes and 'yaks swamped/tipped a couple of times by passing
powerboats. No one was hurt, but they could have been.

Where I canoe, there really are no powerboats of consequence, just
canoes and rafts, the river isn't too wide, and in many places it is
only waist deep. Or less. Perfect for a klutzy canoe guy like me.

I love the river there because the water is crystal clear much of the
time, the river bottom is spectacular and the banks are both rural (with
cows) and heavily wooded. Very pretty.

Sounds nice. I'll reconsider canoeing/kayaking where there's wakes.
But whenever I canoed if you never tipped, you weren't having enough
fun. And if we tipped too much, it was no fun.
Cold water canoeists/kayakers don't see it that way though.
Come to think of it, there was very little boat traffic off the
fishing pier this year, which might be why it was the first time I saw
a kayaker out there.
Maybe a fifth of the boat traffic I've seen in past years.

--Vic

I fished out of my canoe years ago. May do it again next year, as buddy
wants to put together a canoe trip like the old days. My canoe has been
hanging in the garage for a lot of years unused. I fish out of a kayak at
times. Out west we even go out in the ocean, and launch through the surf.
Couple weeks ago, I fished out of a Ocean Kayak Dive Kayak at Pt. Arena, CA.
They are a fairly old yak now, but very stable and I am a 6'4" 240# guy.
Lost the biggest fish, one was most likely a 30# class ling cod and it
ripped off line with the drag buttoned down, and got in the rocks. I fish
light tackle. Got a 30" (probably 10#) ling up to the boat and it let go of
the swim bait. They are noted for clamping on to a fish you hooked or a
lure and not being really hooked. Landed a 22" ling, 2" undersized. Lots
of 2-3# fish. They land 70-80# thesher sharks from yaks, just takes awhile
while they tow you around and tire out. Buddy has a Scupper Pro that I have
used, but is for smaller people. My hip bones hit the side on the yak. He
has a Hobie Outback that you can either pedal or paddle. I am looking to
buy a used one myself. I have an OK Agean tandem. Fished a lot out of that
while with the wife, but rolls very easy with just me. The sponsons are to
high without extra weight. I have fished a lot in Mission Bay, San Diego
out of a Hobie Sport. Also a pedal yak, but only 9' and is really too small
for me. Lots of work making headway. Look at the bigger yaks and test
drive a couple. Rarely, if ever hear of a yak being rolled by a wake. But
these are sit on tops and the wider ones are very stable. You can sit on the
side depending on your size and the width of the yak.
http://www.plasticnavy.com/ will give you a lot of insight on yak fishing.

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
I realized my selfishness in watching the news of the moment compelled
me to make an off-topic post about Hillary and the Dow.
I should move the TV so I can't see/hear it from the computer.
Nah.
We all know off-topic stuff is frowned upon here, so I'll try to make
amends with this on-topic post.
What's boat would you like to have, other than the one you currently
own? But only what you can afford.
What do you think of O'hara's Tolman?
Could O'hara and Eisboch pool their resources and invent a new boat?
Ever want to build your own boat? (Don't answer, Scotty)
Anybody here actually fish from a canoe?

Ok, that's enough for now.

--Vic

2 other boats. One I am actively looking for, and the 2nd would probably
not pass SWMBO's approval First is a Hobie Outback or Revolution. Used as
I am thrifty, and since they do not really wearout, save $7-800 on new. 2nd
would be a smaller river jetboat. For some local real skinny water. I have
thought of building one. But storage would be aproblem. For the use I
would give it, probably not worth the $80 / month storage and the $8-9K to
build it. Welded 1/4 aluminum bottom.

wrote:

Ummmm.... I've fished from a canoe.

And how did you like it?
Any suggestions as to landing big fish, it that happened?
Sort of hoping you or O'hara would have some boat design ideas.
Here's some:
http://www.rexresearch.com/boats/1boat.htm

--Vic

Spent several summers as a kid on a fresh water pond (small lake) in a
wooden framed, canvas covered canoe. Did a lot of bass fishing ...
paddling around for hours trolling with a Rebel lure. (it was the only
one I had). Caught a few.

I don't have a clue how to design a boat. I have enough problems piloting
them.

Eisboch

Funny story about piloting boats. Friend has a 32' Luhrs. Last year at the
sport show, his son who is about 7 years old, was with dad looking at a
boat. Salesguy, says if your dad bought this boat you could drive it.
Robbie tells the saleman, first you drive a car, you pilot a boat. And
dad's boat is already much bigger. Dad was proud.

*My* Apologies to All Starbuck's Words of Wisdom General 29 October 8th 05 04:49 PM
*My* Apologies to All *JimH* General 38 October 7th 05 09:46 PM
Apologies in advance - ignore Shortwave Sportfishing General 1 July 20th 05 03:06 AM
( OT ) Beyond Apologies General 2 May 19th 04 12:20 AM
OT apologies Chris Boat Building 17 December 13th 03 04:10 AM