Default Target practice from the boat

Getting to the range is difficult but going sailing is easy. So, why
not shoot from the boat? Are there any reasons not to go out say 3
miles and put out a closed cell foam ball and shoot at it so the shot
basically goes toward Cuba 450 miles away?

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 16:10:46 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

Getting to the range is difficult but going sailing is easy. So, why
not shoot from the boat? Are there any reasons not to go out say 3
miles and put out a closed cell foam ball and shoot at it so the shot
basically goes toward Cuba 450 miles away?

You will have time for about one magazine full before that nice
sailors breeze blows it out of range. You can have a floating piece of
plank which will have less leeway, with the target on it. Is it
illegal to sink beer cans and bottles?

Casady

wrote:

Getting to the range is difficult but going sailing is easy. So, why
not shoot from the boat? Are there any reasons not to go out say 3
miles and put out a closed cell foam ball and shoot at it so the shot
basically goes toward Cuba 450 miles away?

You will have time for about one magazine full before that nice
sailors breeze blows it out of range. You can have a floating piece of
plank which will have less leeway, with the target on it. Is it
illegal to sink beer cans and bottles?

Casady

At three miles, it certainly is illegal. Plastic of any kind, including
bottles is a no-no anywhere.

Eisboch

wrote:

Getting to the range is difficult but going sailing is easy. So, why
not shoot from the boat? Are there any reasons not to go out say 3
miles and put out a closed cell foam ball and shoot at it so the shot
basically goes toward Cuba 450 miles away?

How 'bout we start with noting that it is a really stupid idea.... for
both you and those folks downrange (for at*least* a mile in every
dircetion).

When I was a youngster, a crusty old gunsmith I hung around ordered me
never to shoot at water because it could bounce the bullet back at me.
I've had everybody I've passed that sage advice to make fun of that
cautionary statement because "it just couldn't happen."

I kinda doubt you'll be packing this sort of artillery, but view this
and think about whether that proper gun range didn't get quite a bit
closer.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0bl4O9Hj0w

wrote:
[...]

The firearm would be a .22 and a shotgun. I'd put a length of chain
below the float to minimize wind movement. I'd pick it up
afterwards. The only thing downrange is Cuba 400 miles away. So, how
is this a bad idea or is it illegal?

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

There would *never* be any other vessels between you and Cuba? Just playin'
devil's advocate here. Personally, I don't see a problem.

--Mike

On Nov 15, 10:35 pm, "Mike" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

Range of a .22 is say 1.5 miles, distance to horizon is roughly 5
miles. Ya think I might see vessels in range?