Matthew Carmel

Default Crew Overboard Practice Target

I have developed a device for practicing day or night time crew overboard
recovery drills. Details maybe be found at www.cobtarget.com.

d parker

Stupid Idea.

It has a flag (Crew members don't have flags on their heads)
A crews head is much lower in the water and much much harder to see. ( so
should the target )
Crew members don't have handles on the top of their heads (neither should
the target.)

Why do MOB training if its done with training wheels on? All this object
appears to do is "over-assist" the skipper and crew in locating and
retrieving the MOB. It does not represent anything near a live situation.
Better to go back to the trusty old lifejacket for a more realistic,
low-to-water object.

If the crew members head is not disappearing behind wavelets it is not a
real situation. This Object removes that real life hindrance.

Retrieval of the crew member in the simulated simulation should be as
difficult as in real life. The handle again takes away another real life
situation.

Over priced and over rated in my opinion
The only use I see for it is as a poor mans DanBouy.

DP

"Matthew Carmel" wrote in message
I have developed a device for practicing day or night time crew overboard
recovery drills. Details maybe be found at www.cobtarget.com.

Skip Gundlach

"d parker" wrote in message
[...]

What, you've not got a MOB pole with flag and ring/horseshoe on a line????

Never used in anger, my understanding is that unless disabled, the MOB goes
to the pole (with the highly visible flag), uses the floatation, you go to
the pole, and pick up MOB.

Yes, I know, the MOB may be disabled - but if you didn't see it happen,
you've likely lost it, anyway...

L8R

Skip, having bought one of those first thing in the refit process

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

rhys

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:25:25 -0500, "Matthew Carmel"
wrote:

I have developed a device for practicing day or night time crew overboard
recovery drills. Details maybe be found at www.cobtarget.com.

I use a hat, or if I fancy the exercise, a sack of sand with three
fenders lashed to it = small woman/large child.

Roll on May. It's time the wife learned to handle the boat, quick
-stop, etc. COB drills are actually fun disguised as training.

R.

Crew Overboard Practice Target Matthew Carmel General 9 November 30th 05 08:30 PM
Pretty but unsailable [email protected] Boat Building 13 November 30th 05 05:55 AM
Death by Swim Platform! Bob Crantz ASA 1 November 18th 05 07:02 PM
The Attributes of an Outstanding Skipper Bart Senior ASA 112 November 11th 05 12:19 AM