posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Fuel Gauge Repair

I have a 1983 Renken and a 1985 Chris Craft. Both have the exact same
name brand instruments on their dashboards. The only sign of a
company name or trademark on these instruments is a white "T" on the
bottom of the instrument faces. The instruments are black and the
scales and markings are white and brown/bronze. There’s two sets of
numbers on the side of the fuel gauge, 1198777 and 3044 under that.

Anyone know what company this is so I can look up the specs? What ohm
range the fuel gauge operates?

Does the fuel gauge actually measure a voltage drop or resistance
(i.e., ohms)?

THE PROBLEM: The Renken fuel gauge does not work. The resistance
between ground and the sender of the tank is 15k . The voltage
difference between ground and the sender is 10v, and the difference
between the sender and the ignition hot lead is 3v.

I replaced the original “T” fuel gauge with a 30-240 ohm teleflex (not
sure if this is the correct replacement) but the teleflex gauge does
not work either. The needle does not move (i.e., reads empty just
like the old “T” gauge did) and I know the tank has plenty of gas in
it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.BoatingForumz.com/Fuel-Ga...ict100271.html

scotts wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the sender is open circuit. 15 K ohm is far too high for a
normal resistive sender.

You have checked the sender circuit between the gauge and the tank? If
not, do so now.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

does it look like this?

http://www.candomarineparts.com/WebS.../TempoFuel.jpg

On Nov 10, 12:09*pm, Paul wrote:
Sound like a Temp Fuel Gauge

http://www.tempoproducts.com/

Contact them.

FUEL GAUGE WIRES sonofadocker General 1 June 1st 07 01:46 PM
YAMAHA FUEL GAUGE OUT [email protected] Electronics 1 November 25th 03 05:45 PM
Stuck fuel gauge??? Frank Taylor, Jr. Cruising 1 October 23rd 03 01:04 PM
Stuck Fuel Gauge?? Frank Taylor, Jr. General 2 October 23rd 03 12:54 PM