posted to rec.boats.electronics
scotts scotts is offline

Default Fuel Gauge Repair

Paul, turns out the gauge is an old teleflex and everythings pointing
to the tank sending unit. Thanks for the help and the picture.

Scott

"scotts" wrote:
I have a 1983 Renken and a 1985 Chris Craft. Both have the
exact same name brand instruments on their dashboards. The
only sign of a company name or trademark on these instruments
is a white "T" on the bottom of the instrument faces. The
instruments are black and the scales and markings are white
and brown/bronze. There’s two sets of numbers on the side of
the fuel gauge, 1198777 and 3044 under that.

Anyone know what company this is so I can look up the specs?
What ohm range the fuel gauge operates?

Does the fuel gauge actually measure a voltage drop or
resistance (i.e., ohms)?

THE PROBLEM: The Renken fuel gauge does not work. The
resistance between ground and the sender of the tank is 15k .
The voltage difference between ground and the sender is 10v,
and the difference between the sender and the ignition hot
lead is 3v.

I replaced the original “T” fuel gauge with a 30-240 ohm
teleflex (not sure if this is the correct replacement) but the
teleflex gauge does not work either. The needle does not move
(i.e., reads empty just like the old “T” gauge did) and I know
the tank has plenty of gas in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

--