Frank Taylor, Jr.

Default Stuck Fuel Gauge??

My boat was out of the water for about 6 weeks getting some repairs. Right
before I put it back in the water, I filled up the fuel tank (fuel at the
gas station is cheaper than at the marina). So far, I am sure that I have
burned at least a quarter of a tank but the fuel gauge still says full. I
also noticed that before the ignition is turned on, it rests at the empty
position and as soon as I turn the key, it immediately pops overk to the
full position and stays there.

Is there any way to unstick a stuck fuel gauge? I have found what appears
to be the fuel gauge sending unit on the top of the fuel tank and it looks
simple to remove/replace (three screws and some type of sealing gasket).
The wires seem to be intact.

I have never messed with the fuel gauge before so I'd like to hear some
advice from those with experience before I tear into it.

Thanks

Frank

Calif Bill

Some tanks still read full for a ways towards empty. Pull the screws and
remove the sender and cover the tank hole. Connect a ground wire to the
sender. Metal part of the sender and the guage should move empty to full
as you move the float.
Bill

"Frank Taylor, Jr." wrote in message
[...]

David Ward

"Calif Bill" wrote in message nk.net...
: Some tanks still read full for a ways towards empty. Pull the screws and
: remove the sender and cover the tank hole. Connect a ground wire to the
: sender. Metal part of the sender and the guage should move empty to full
: as you move the float.
: Bill
:
If the gauge stays at full deflection during the above test, check the ground
at the gauge. Normally, there're three wires - ign, send, grnd. When the
ground's undone, the needle will peg.
If I remember right, a high resistance end on the sender wire will make
a needle float too high, as well.

Dave

Alchohol stoves Parallax General 18 October 15th 03 06:37 PM
fuel delivery problem on outboard? help Russell Hermansen General 9 October 7th 03 01:40 AM
engine paint in fuel system David Ward General 0 August 20th 03 04:20 AM
Inboard won't run above 2800 RPM John M Murphy General 2 August 18th 03 05:27 PM
Fuel pump to carbs fuel line replacement Bob General 5 July 29th 03 05:51 PM