Calif Bill

Default Stuck Fuel Gauge??

Some tanks still read full for a ways towards empty. Pull the screws and
remove the sender and cover the tank hole. Connect a ground wire to the
sender. Metal part of the sender and the guage should move empty to full
as you move the float.
Bill

"Frank Taylor, Jr." wrote in message
My boat was out of the water for about 6 weeks getting some repairs.

Right
before I put it back in the water, I filled up the fuel tank (fuel at the
gas station is cheaper than at the marina). So far, I am sure that I have
burned at least a quarter of a tank but the fuel gauge still says full. I
also noticed that before the ignition is turned on, it rests at the empty
position and as soon as I turn the key, it immediately pops overk to the
full position and stays there.

Is there any way to unstick a stuck fuel gauge? I have found what appears
to be the fuel gauge sending unit on the top of the fuel tank and it looks
simple to remove/replace (three screws and some type of sealing gasket).
The wires seem to be intact.

I have never messed with the fuel gauge before so I'd like to hear some
advice from those with experience before I tear into it.

Thanks

Frank