posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Fixed Mount GPS

Hi
I am looking for a fixed mount gps to interface with my on board laptop and
my auto pilot. I do not need a chart plotter. I just want a gps that is
powered by 12v boat batteries and can talk to the computer and auto pilot.
Any recomendations ?

SilverK

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:54:05 -0400, "Silver K"
wrote:

Hi
I am looking for a fixed mount gps to interface with my on board laptop and
my auto pilot. I do not need a chart plotter. I just want a gps that is
powered by 12v boat batteries and can talk to the computer and auto pilot.
Any recomendations ?

SilverK

I'm using a Garmin GPS17 antenna/receiver module (no user interface)
to provide NMEA position data to my DSC VHF, Raymarine charplotter and
computer chart plotter.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.electronics

I am looking for a fixed mount gps to interface with my on board laptop
and my auto pilot.

You don't mention what make/model autopilot. That might be the most
important part as many have specific interface requirements.

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
I am looking for a fixed mount gps to interface with my on board laptop
and my auto pilot.

You don't mention what make/model autopilot. That might be the most
important part as many have specific interface requirements.

I am using a Raytheon 3000 autopilot. It works great except for the rudder
sensor. My rudder will turn farther than the sensor will, causing the
threaded attachment rod to pop off.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article ,
"Silver K" wrote:

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
I am looking for a fixed mount gps to interface with my on board laptop
and my auto pilot.

You don't mention what make/model autopilot. That might be the most
important part as many have specific interface requirements.

I am using a Raytheon 3000 autopilot. It works great except for the rudder
sensor. My rudder will turn farther than the sensor will, causing the
threaded attachment rod to pop off.

Someone did a VERY Poor Installation of the AutoPilot, and Rudder
Feedback Sensor. Whom ever it was ought to run out of the Marine
Electronics Business for being to stupid to live.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply
posted to rec.boats.electronics

I am using a Raytheon 3000 autopilot. It works great except for the
rudder sensor. My rudder will turn farther than the sensor will, causing
the threaded attachment rod to pop off.

Sounds like the arm needs to be repositioned. Where it pivots on each end
controls this. Usually there's adjustment points on each side. Whomever
installed yours did an improper job.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:25:55 -0400, "Bill Kearney"
wrote:

I am using a Raytheon 3000 autopilot. It works great except for the
rudder sensor. My rudder will turn farther than the sensor will, causing
the threaded attachment rod to pop off.

Sounds like the arm needs to be repositioned. Where it pivots on each end
controls this. Usually there's adjustment points on each side. Whomever
installed yours did an improper job.

More likely that there is an imbalance in the actuation length of the
rudder arm and the actuation length of the Sensor. Saw the same
recently. Rudder indicator had never worked properly for 13 years!
Made a longer sensor arm now no problems.

--
Richard