posted to rec.boats.electronics
killie

Default VHF hanfheld or fixed

Hi
My son has just bought a second hand 23 ft motor cruiser which was very
basic to say the least, not even one piece of safety equipment with it,
however he has started to kit it out. I do not know anything about boats and
their equipments but my wife and I were considering buying him a VHF radio
as a Xmas present (the licence he can get himself) .I was looking at a Silva
S10 DSC priced at £129.00 UKP or $221 USD or a handheld Star M-298 £57 UKP
or $97 USD He will probably never be more than 3 miles offshore and the boat
will be used purely for leisure and maybe a bit sea angling in the west of
Scotland. The radio would be just for any unforseen emergency.

I'm not sure which to go for, a fixed or handheld. Would the fixed radio set
be rather extravagant for the purpose ?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:24:47 GMT, "killie"
wrote:

I'm not sure which to go for, a fixed or handheld. Would the fixed radio set
be rather extravagant for the purpose ?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

I'm tempted to say there's no such thing as extravagance where safety
gear is concerned. In the best of all worlds, you have both. They are
somewhat complementary.

In over 40 years on and around salt water, I'm pretty sure a handheld
would have worked for everything I've ever really needed to do. The
limited power generally isn't a problem. The downside is if something
goes wrong, you are limited to the quantity and quality of batteries
on hand. Also, anything not attached to the boat might go missing
when things start to go wrong. In my personal experience, handhelds
have not been as reliable as fixed units.

The fixed vhf will have better reach if you need to yell for help on a
noisy channel. On the other hand, a significant percentage of the
things that go wrong on a small boat result in a dead electrical
system either immediately or eventually, making the fixed vhf useless.
You will need to mount an antenna, of course. You are tied to the
radio by the mike cord, maybe not a problem on such a small boat.

Bear in mind that this is not necessarily just emergency equipment.
On the US side of the pond, vhf radios also receive weather forecasts.
They are needed to communicate with bridges and locks. You can
contact marinas to request a slip. You can ask another boat how the
fishing is where they are. You can hear the Coast Guard broadcast
that there's a shipping container floating a few inches under the
surface in your path. For these routine tasks, a handheld is
sufficient and convenient. But if I ever seriously need help, I'll
reach for the fixed unit first. I really like having both.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

killie wrote:
[...]

4 watts or 25 watts. I know which I would go for every time.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Captain Joe Redcloud wrote in
:

Every time? Which one works better when your boat has capsized in bad
conditions and you are in the water? Which one works better when you
are in your dinghy, headed to your boat at night, the motor dies and
you are being swept out to sea by a strong current? I can think of
many cases where I would find a handheld MUCH more useful. That's why
I have both.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Boating on the cheap.....a disaster in the making....

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ed

99% of boating is on the cheap.... If not, Searay, Bayliner, Regal and
the rest of the Freshwater boat brands would never sell a boat to the
coastal community and the only small boats would be whalers with twins
and the only cruisers would be Nordhaven.

Where safety is concerned though and you are out of swimming distance...
..redundancy is king... get them both.

Larry wrote:
Captain Joe Redcloud wrote in
:

Every time? Which one works better when your boat has capsized in bad
conditions and you are in the water? Which one works better when you
are in your dinghy, headed to your boat at night, the motor dies and
you are being swept out to sea by a strong current? I can think of
many cases where I would find a handheld MUCH more useful. That's why
I have both.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Boating on the cheap.....a disaster in the making....

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Me

In article ,
Captain Joe Redcloud wrote:

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:01:50 -0500, Larry wrote:

Captain Joe Redcloud wrote in
:

Every time? Which one works better when your boat has capsized in bad
conditions and you are in the water? Which one works better when you
are in your dinghy, headed to your boat at night, the motor dies and
you are being swept out to sea by a strong current? I can think of
many cases where I would find a handheld MUCH more useful. That's why
I have both.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Boating on the cheap.....a disaster in the making....

???

Commodore Joe Redcloud

who promoted you up the Chain of Cammand?

email addee is Captain......you your sig says Commodore....
do you actually know the difference?

Me one who does wonder about such stuff.......
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Commodore Joe Redcloud wrote in
:

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Whenever some yachtie on the dock calls me "captain", my standard response
is:

"Oh, no. You're not blaming me for what goes wrong. I'm just the 3rd
Mate!"

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Commodore Joe Redcloud wrote in
:

I think you should consult with Dr. Phil to deal with your lack of
confidence, skill, and other obvious issues.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Do you think its any worse than these "command" visions of grandeur??...(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

Captain Joe Redcloud wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:12:54 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

killie wrote:
[...]

Raising the Coastguard in mountainous Scotland on a £57 handheld Star M-298
would be a miracle, speaking from practical experience of our West Coast. I
take your point about having both, but would always go for a 25-watt fixed
installation as a priority purchase.

Dennis.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Commodore Joe Redcloud wrote in
:

???

Commodore Joe Redcloud

The BS calling some banker "Captain" because he buys a boat....