BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Fixed Mount GPS (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/97485-fixed-mount-gps.html)

Silver K August 28th 08 06:54 PM

Fixed Mount GPS

Hi
I am looking for a fixed mount gps to interface with my on board laptop and
my auto pilot. I do not need a chart plotter. I just want a gps that is
powered by 12v boat batteries and can talk to the computer and auto pilot.
Any recomendations ?

SilverK

Bruce in Bangkok[_8_] August 29th 08 02:47 AM

Fixed Mount GPS

In article ,
says...
Hi
I am looking for a fixed mount gps to interface with my on board laptop and
my auto pilot. I do not need a chart plotter. I just want a gps that is
powered by 12v boat batteries and can talk to the computer and auto pilot.
Any recomendations ?

SilverK

I think that Garmin still makes a fixed mount model without chart
plotting. The 12, or 1200, or some such number with "12" in it. At least
I bought one in Singapore a year ago.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

Peter Bennett August 29th 08 03:13 AM

Fixed Mount GPS

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:54:05 -0400, "Silver K"
wrote:

Hi
I am looking for a fixed mount gps to interface with my on board laptop and
my auto pilot. I do not need a chart plotter. I just want a gps that is
powered by 12v boat batteries and can talk to the computer and auto pilot.
Any recomendations ?

SilverK

I'm using a Garmin GPS17 antenna/receiver module (no user interface)
to provide NMEA position data to my DSC VHF, Raymarine charplotter and
computer chart plotter.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Bill Kearney August 29th 08 05:16 PM

Fixed Mount GPS

I am looking for a fixed mount gps to interface with my on board laptop
and my auto pilot.

You don't mention what make/model autopilot. That might be the most
important part as many have specific interface requirements.

Silver K September 2nd 08 02:14 PM

Fixed Mount GPS

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
I am looking for a fixed mount gps to interface with my on board laptop
and my auto pilot.

You don't mention what make/model autopilot. That might be the most
important part as many have specific interface requirements.

I am using a Raytheon 3000 autopilot. It works great except for the rudder
sensor. My rudder will turn farther than the sensor will, causing the
threaded attachment rod to pop off.

Bruce in alaska September 3rd 08 01:10 AM

Fixed Mount GPS

In article ,
"Silver K" wrote:

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
I am looking for a fixed mount gps to interface with my on board laptop
and my auto pilot.

You don't mention what make/model autopilot. That might be the most
important part as many have specific interface requirements.

I am using a Raytheon 3000 autopilot. It works great except for the rudder
sensor. My rudder will turn farther than the sensor will, causing the
threaded attachment rod to pop off.

Someone did a VERY Poor Installation of the AutoPilot, and Rudder
Feedback Sensor. Whom ever it was ought to run out of the Marine
Electronics Business for being to stupid to live.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

Bill Kearney September 3rd 08 06:25 PM

Fixed Mount GPS

I am using a Raytheon 3000 autopilot. It works great except for the
rudder sensor. My rudder will turn farther than the sensor will, causing
the threaded attachment rod to pop off.

Sounds like the arm needs to be repositioned. Where it pivots on each end
controls this. Usually there's adjustment points on each side. Whomever
installed yours did an improper job.

Electrickydicky September 4th 08 11:23 AM

Fixed Mount GPS

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:25:55 -0400, "Bill Kearney"
wrote:

I am using a Raytheon 3000 autopilot. It works great except for the
rudder sensor. My rudder will turn farther than the sensor will, causing
the threaded attachment rod to pop off.

Sounds like the arm needs to be repositioned. Where it pivots on each end
controls this. Usually there's adjustment points on each side. Whomever
installed yours did an improper job.

More likely that there is an imbalance in the actuation length of the
rudder arm and the actuation length of the Sensor. Saw the same
recently. Rudder indicator had never worked properly for 13 years!
Made a longer sensor arm now no problems.

--
Richard