posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default External Wifi Antenna

It is being used as a client, not as an access point to receive WiFi in
various marinas I visit.

Then is it passing DHCP requests to the host network? Or is it acting as a
router to the local network, via NAT? It'll make a difference as the host
network may well have limited a DHCP address range. I've run mine as
gateway routers. That way my local equipment is protected from the other
wireless systems. That and it handles it's own DHCP address range.

I've yet to find any client software I needed to use that failed to work.
But if there were such software it'd probably fail as a direct client
anyway. Unless ports were opened on the source Wifi router to allow the
traffic to pass (unlikely if you don't own the source router).

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:18:50 -0800, "Patrick Harman"
wrote in
:

Anyone have a link to an external marine Wifi antenna. I want to mount it
atop my mast and run about 40 ft to my computer.

See the "Wi-Fi on a Boat" section of the Wiki below.

--
Best regards,
John Navas http:/navasgroup.com
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:55:34 GMT, John Navas
wrote in
:

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:18:50 -0800, "Patrick Harman"
wrote in
:

Anyone have a link to an external marine Wifi antenna. I want to mount it
atop my mast and run about 40 ft to my computer.

See the "Wi-Fi on a Boat" section of the Wiki below.

Oops!

http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_on_a_Boat

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: http://Wireless.wikia.com
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi
posted to rec.boats.electronics,alt.internet.wireless

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:04:25 -0500, "Bill Kearney"
wrote in
:

Another possible DHCP problem is Comcast Internet, which doesn't work
well with some wireless routers. Check for updated firmware and/or a
different brand of wireless router.

Which is unlikely to be useful advice in this particular situation.

Wasn't obvious because so little of the thread was cross-posted here
(alt.internet.wireless), and not entirely out of the question -- I know
of at least one marina using Comcast Internet.