Default wifi set up - what antenna do I use?

I am looking to set up a laptop on a boat that will receive wifi
signals. I need to install a twenty foot cable from the antenna to a
cable connector which attaches
Proxim orinoco 8011b/g gold wireless card. I think I have found the
cable but
don't know what antenna to attach to it as I want to minimize loss of
signal and I believe I have to get a certain length antenna to
synchronize with the cable length to do this. Does anyone know what the

right size antenna should be? Also, any suggestions on where to pick
one
up?
I found the cable here
http://sharperconcepts.zoovy.com/pro...C-CA-RSPNMAXXX

johnhh

Unless you know where the access point is located and want to fiddle with
aiming it, go with an omnidirectional one. I would go over an 8db gain. I
use a 6 db gain and it works fine. They are getting to be very widely
available. I know CompUSA sells both interior and exterior ones.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking to set up a laptop on a boat that will receive wifi
signals. I need to install a twenty foot cable from the antenna to a
cable connector which attaches
Proxim orinoco 8011b/g gold wireless card. I think I have found the
cable but
don't know what antenna to attach to it as I want to minimize loss of
signal and I believe I have to get a certain length antenna to
synchronize with the cable length to do this. Does anyone know what the

right size antenna should be? Also, any suggestions on where to pick
one
up?
I found the cable here
http://sharperconcepts.zoovy.com/pro...C-CA-RSPNMAXXX

Thanks John. could you tell me what length the antenna should be
itself. I have been told that length will affect the strength of the
signal going out of a longer antenna even if its omnidirectional

Peter

johnhh

Mine, must be about 15" or so. I am not too knowledgeable in antenna design
and leave the length calculations up to the manufacturers. Unless your
trying for really extraordinary range, you can't go too wrong with any
designed for the wi-fi band (about 2.45 GHz for 802.11b,g and n. 80211.a is
at 5 Ghz)

If you need more detail, maybe one of the antenna experts will weigh in.

John

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks John. could you tell me what length the antenna should be
itself. I have been told that length will affect the strength of the
signal going out of a longer antenna even if its omnidirectional

Peter

Gary G

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 07:07:00 GMT, ahoy wrote:

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:39:51 -0700, Gary G see.signature@bottom
wrote:

Where are you going? I did WiFi in Anacortes, Roche Harbor
and Friday Harbor. 4/5 bars. 1-5MBs. I'm using a Fujisu
S6220 notebook--no external antenna.

gary g.

Do they give you a login password etc or as part of paid morage or did
you just scan around for it?

They have various subscription plans that yield a username and
password (you choose both). I did the three day plan. Use WiFi
scanner for SSID bbx and move to preferred. DHCP of course.

You should then get "connected" and appropriate signal strength.
Bring up your browser and try Google or some other URL. BBX will
come up and show plans, cost and hot spots. Select plan, use
credit card, log in and you are connected. Worked great.

gary,
Thank you for becoming a BroadbandXpress Wireless Internet Customer!!
This e-mail is being sent to confirm the creation of your account with
our company. To view your account status or make changes to your
account, click the "My Account Info" link at
https://wireless.nnu.com/bbxpress/

The below information describes your current rate plan:
(3) Day Plan - 72 hours usage - all locations $19.95 (USD)
$19.95 per 72-hours from when you authorize service by entering your username and
password. No further charges are incurred unless account is used after the (72) hours
have elapsed. Use the service at any of our locations. Once you establish the
account- you enter your username and password to authorize another 72 hours of
service. No refunds for lack of use. BBX high power equipment may be necessary for
adequate service in the marina.

If you have any questions regarding your account, please contact us
toll free at 1-800-729-4603.

Thanks again!
BroadbandXpress

You can see their plans and locations and other info at this URL:

https://wireless.nnu.com/bbxpress/

I block pop-ups so I logged off using http://1.1.1.1

Worked fine--just slow at times regardless of signal strength.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191